Wednesday 9 August 2023

Some Strokes of Luck

After all the fun I had practicing the embroidery, I thought it would be cool to do more random stitching on a denim shirt. I didn’t want thick denim but the softer washed denim. I tried several stores online and finally lucked out on the Old Navy website. I can’t remember the last time I bought anything at Old Navy but they had exactly what I wanted. An oversized ‘Boyfriend Shirt’. AND it was on clearance with an additional 30% off. The Old Navy at the local mall didn’t have it in stock but the one in the next town (Ajax ON) did AND in the size I wanted!! Bonus!!

So for $11.47 minus 30% plus tax I got the shirt for $9.47. When I got the message that they had it ready for me to pick up, I beetled right over there to get it. 

In the meantime, I did a search on Etsy for fun patterns for the yoke and bought this one. I’m not sure I’ll do all the cacti and will brighten up some of the colours but I think some of the clusters will look very nifty. I’ve been really partial to sunflowers this year.

Since getting a refund for a stitching event I could no longer attend, I had a big credit in my PayPal account burning the figurative hole in my pocket. So I ordered another pattern on Etsy.


I’ll print them out on the water soluble stabilizer and use the ones I like. I also want to try to design some echinacea and black-eyed susans. 

While on the topic of going to pick up the denim shirt yesterday, I did another errand at the Canadian Tire in Ajax. When I came out, I smelled an amazing aroma. My nose took me over to a taco truck parked on the sidewalk right in front of Canadian Tire - Cocodrilo Tacos and Hot Dogs . Oh my goodness, the beef (carne asada) tacos were the best I’ve had since leaving the Rio Grande Valley. There were tender, soft corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and lime. I bought three for my lunch and even ate one in the car on the way home (messy - wasn’t a good idea). I will be returning for more…

And finally, after having a plastic surgery clinic recommended to me by a stitcher/retired nurse at our stitch day on Saturday, I called and left them a message. An administrator called me back the next morning (Sunday of a long weekend!!) and assured me the plastic surgeon could do my surgery and she would book me in the soonest available spot.

Sure enough, Tuesday morning (first business day after our long weekend), she called me back and told me I have a booking for tomorrow at 11:45 at their clinic in NW Toronto. Huzzah!! FINALLY!! My dear friend, Jen1 will chauffeur me to the appointment, wait with me, wait while I’m having the procedure done, and bring me home afterwards. My friends and family have been THE BEST through all the crap we’ve been dealing with since Skip’s cancer diagnosis last fall. We’re SO grateful.

Interestingly, yesterday I got a call from an administrator at the local hospital where my November 1 surgery is booked, asking me who my GP was who referred me to the dermatologist who ‘denied’ me service a month ago. Apparently they received a message from my MPP (to whom I’d sent an email about my situation 2 weeks ago) to investigate my complaint. I didn’t catch his name or extension number but he said he’d call me back when he found out something. It appears the ‘squeaky wheel’ does get the grease sometimes.

And this afternoon I got a call from the November 1 plastic surgeon’s office that they have a cancellation for me for next Wednesday. I told her I was having surgery tomorrow at a clinic in Toronto and would not need the cancelled booking nor the November 1 booking. (I had planned to call them tomorrow afternoon after the surgery but she beat me to it). I will cancel the consultation I had booked for next Thursday in the US when I get home from the procedure tomorrow.

So hopefully this nightmare of a medical situation will be behind me tomorrow. If pathology finds any cancer in the margins, I can go back and have that dealt with but in the meantime the lesion will be gone. Such a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment