Sunday 15 January 2012

Sheep Heid and an iPhone!

I've been working away on Sheep Heid.
I can see using that sheep motif on quite a few project designs.
Click here to see the cowl that Anne made with it!

It's different using the 'sticky' Jamieson & Smith Shetland Supreme yarn. It's a bit rough but it feels very 'authentic' and scratchy. It's somewhat like the feel of Briggs and Little yarn.
It's about half done. I'm looking forward to being able to wear it during our wintry blast. I may block it in a more tam-like configuration rather than as a beanie.

The reason I haven't finished Sheep Heid in a lickety-split manner is I've been a bit distracted. Yesterday I bought a not-previously-owned unlocked 32GB iPhone 3GS.
It is very exciting because I paid about half of what they're going for on eBay. All I had to do was take my Rogers SIM card out of my Nokia C3 and slap it into the iPhone and I was in business.

Rather than knitting, I spent most of last night synching it, putting apps on it and creating ringtones for it. I wasn't happy with the generic ringtones so I googled how to add a ringtone from a music file. I found this awesome, step-by-step video and in fairly short order was able to convert some music files that were deemed ringtone-worthy into ringtones to synch to my iPhone. Never one to do things in a small way, I then spent about 1.5 hours creating about a dozen of them so I now have quite a variety of them to choose from.

This morning, I started keying in some of my contacts and shortly thereafter realized that there had to be an easier way to transfer them from my iPod Touch to the iPhone (I don't have iCloud - yet). Back to Google I went and sure enough, I found a free app called 'Bump' that allows you to transfer Contacts, Photos, Apps, Music, Calendar and Social networks between devices.
There wasn't a lot of explanation but after downloading Bump to both devices and a bit of experimentation, I was able to transfer all 325 of my contacts to the iPhone by literally 'bumping' the two devices together. Huzzah!!! 

Now I have pretty much everything that was on my iPod Touch on my iPhone AND the ability to use it as a phone (no data plan - yet) and a Skype device when I'm in a Wifi zone. 

And now, back to my knitting...

2 comments:

  1. I love the sheepie motif! So cute. And yes, I do believe there is an app for almost anything.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love that pattern but I do agree that I find the Shetland wool on the scratchy side and I couldn't imagine how that would feel on my head.

    ReplyDelete