Thursday 7 December 2023

All FFOd and Day 7 of the Advent Stocking

Last night I finished fully finishing the ornaments.

I decided to add a bow to the top of this one even though it already had a stitched bow.

I like all the sparkly bling. It will look really cool once hanging and light hits the little jewels.
On the way to Skip's radiation appointment, I printed off Arne and Carlos' Day 7 chart. They post their YouTube video at 6pm Central European Time so sometime after noon our time (Eastern) the chart is available. I got all 6 rounds knit before Skip emerged and we headed home. Only 3 more treatments. Yay!
According to their outline, the next two days will be the heel. It will be interesting how we'll be directed to create it.

I made a little movie on the progress I've made on the stocking. Click the play button twice.

I have also recently become quite intrigued by Ysolda Teague's Musselburgh hat pattern. 

A couple of YouTube videos came up on my feed and got me interested in using some of my lovely fingering weight yarn that isn't appropriate for socks (no silk or nylon content for strength). It is a simple yet versatile pattern. Basically it is a knitted tube which decreases to complete closure on each end. Then push one end into the other and the result is a doubly thick slouchy hat. If one half is a different yarn, pushing the ends the other way exposes the other yarn. Then, as is pictured above, turning up the brim yields 4 layers of warmth. Other variations could involve ribbing for part of it, seed stitch, half and half, etc. Ideally it should be knit with a couple of  inches of negative ease. The one YouTuber knits hers with almost 4" of negative ease. It's explained well in this 'At Yarn's Length' blog post. I'll definitely be checking for the perfect skein of yarn for this pattern.

I just don't have my Christmas decorating mojo yet. However we did get our first snowfall of the season overnight. I was awakened by the sound of snow being shovelled outside my window. What a wonderful feeling to know I don't have to bundle up and scrape it myself. Best money we've spent all winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment