Saturday 16 December 2023

Day 15 and a Finish

I got Day 15's rounds knit last night while I watched 'The Crown'. It finished the green 'chain' and started what I think are a girl and boy.

I also finished the Musselburgh with yarn to spare. I started the decreases after the recommended number of inches for my size (Adult Medium) but could have knit some extra rows and started them where I had mathematically determined would work.  No matter. Since the tube is closed at both ends, sewing in the cast on yarn end needs to be done before closing the tube. Then the cast off end is run through the remaining stitches a couple of times then fed down the centre hole and blindly secured somehow. This yarn is scrumptious. I have three skeins of Malabrigo sock yarn that will be good candidates for other hats. 
It's plenty long enough for a semi-slouchy hat. I can also turn up the edge  a couple of inches for 4 layers of thickness over my ears.

Pushing the one end into the other, this is one side:
and this is it the other way.
You can see that knitting with a different yarn on one half would work, too. 

Before casting on the next one, I'm going to weigh the needles and the skein of yarn. Then I'll weight them at the point the increases are done so I'll know at when to start the decreases at the other end with just enough yarn to spare.

I'm also going to have a good look at my handspun and see what I could use for another Musselburgh.

This construction was not new to me. I knit my niece's husband, who enjoys hunting, a two-sided hat back in 2009.

Public side:
Selected audience side:
There were a few rounds of purling or reverse garter stitch at the fold line but the concept of pushing one end into the other was the same. He still has and wears that hat.

I still have a bit of running around/shopping for some gifts and household items. Scooter is arriving for a visit this afternoon. And, of course, there's always housework.

I decided to treat myself and put in an order for HelloFresh which is due to arrive today. We had an introductory order back in the spring. All three recipes were easy to prepare and I've made two of them since then. One of them more than a couple of times (Ricotta-zucchini fritters and sides).  These are the ones arriving today.

We're having mac and cheese when Scooter is here tonight but these three meals will take care of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Happy Holidays to me.

I also got my annual Christmas newsletter composed, and the rest of my Christmas cards finished.

That takes care of most of my previous 'to do' list. Now to tackle some more items.

No comments:

Post a Comment