Thursday 18 October 2007

On the Road Again...

We had a nice drive to Williamsville, NY today (a suburb east of Buffalo). It was foggy for most of the trip but the sun broke through as we arrived at our destination. It was about 15F warmer here than when we left home.

We stopped at a favourite discount sporting goods store (clothing and shoes). I found a pair of winter gloves I've been looking for for several years to replace the ones I have had for ages but are almost worn out. Yay! I also bought a treat for Lorna for either her birthday or Christmas. Skip bought a cool pair of thermal socks. He was reluctant to buy them because he didn't want to hurt my feelings but they had a really nice Nordic pattern so I encouraged him to go for it. I'll still knit him a pair of socks here and there.

After dinner at La Tolteca Mexican Restaurante. I ordered a tamale and an enchilada a la carte and tried a new Miller Chill beer with the salt and lime. Mmmm. I'm going to bring a case back to C-A-N-A-D-A. Skip enjoyed the burrito special.

We then went to Barnes & Noble but they didn't have any of the three books I was looking for as they're closing in a few days. A brand new B & N is opening across the street. I overheard the clerk saying they weren't even moving the books over to the new store. They were just going to be shipped back to the publisher. Evidently it is felt that the clientele will want all new books at the new store. Whatever. They'll all show up in a Half Price Books store I'm sure. It was disappointing to not be able to get the books I want. Hopefully we'll get them in Albany tomorrow.

At JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts I purchased a skein of Bernat Bamboo yarn (89% bamboo, 11% acrylic) in the 'wicker' shade to knit a teddy bear. Even before I got to the cashier I noticed fluff coming off it onto my clothes and into the air. I decided to get it anyway even though it probably won't be suitable for a baby's toy. I have the bear almost half done already. I modified the pattern by only using one strand of yarn and 4.5mm needles rather than 2 strands and 6mm needles. It should be about 8" - 9" tall when I'm done.

On the way here in the car (and waiting to clear customs) I cast on and knit about 2" on the second Jaywalker sock. Here's the first one.













And here it is as I see it when it's on (and a really good view of my bunion - sigh):




The light is better in this photo, too.






Tomorrow we drive to Albany and will head south to Rhinebeck the next morning. I hope to see Stephanie in her newly completed kauni sweater and also Rachael.

No comments:

Post a Comment