Monday 31 August 2020

6+ Months Later

Skip and I ventured to south Texas at the end of January to enjoy the winter in a subtropical climate. Our plan was to start for home mid-April after the bird migration was underway but in time to enjoy spring at home.

While I was away, on February 13, Jen1 mailed me a package to my address down there. There is no mail delivery to non-business addresses there so all mail for Winter Texans goes to General Delivery at the post office. Going to the post office to check for mail is one of the fun things Skip and I do as part of our usual routine.

Into March, Jen1 asked if I had received anything from her. I had not and kept going to the post office to see if anything had been delivered. Then on March 13 we got word that because of COVID-19 we were to return home right away as our travel medical insurance would be cancelled on March 23. I was also expecting delivery of another parcel. We delayed our drive home to the Monday morning (March 16) when the post office opened to see if either of our expected missives had arrived - no luck. Then we began our 3200km odyssey home

Today I got a text from Jen1 that the parcel had arrived back at her place - 6 1/2 months after it had been mailed. The sticker on it said it was undeliverable. This is not the first time this has happened to mail sent to TX. I sent a sympathy card to a friend who lives outside of Houston last year and it never arrived. It returned to me a few months later.

Anyway, I went over to Jen1's this afternoon and picked up the parcel. Inside was a letter and a really nice Hands On Design pin cushion pattern, The Summer Night from her House on a Hill series.

I love these pin cushions. They're so fun to stitch and put together. Included in the package is the scrap of wool tweed fabric that will be the front lawn of The House on the Hill. There's also a chart for a little scissor fob.

Here's one I finished a couple of years ago. See how the wool piece is stitched onto the top? 
It's quite ironic because just before Jen1 texted me, I was watching a FlossTube video (Brenda and the Serial Starter), and mulling over what project I should start kitting up to stitch. The Summer Night calls for Weeks Dye Works threads. I might have one of them. I may just use DMC or Classic Colourwork equivalents as nothing is a particularly large area of colour so variegation wouldn't be that evident.

I have also completed most of the stitching on the HOD Buzz pin cushion and just need to finish the honeycomb on the top and attach the wool piece. I think I delayed because I wanted to personalize the bottom before assembling it. This is the piece that goes around the edge - with a bee hive on each side.
I really must dive into my stash and see what else I want to kit up to stitch in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment