Monday 3 August 2020

A Glimpse of Things to Come

Last week I watched Teresa Kogut's FlossTube episode. She talked about a trip to Ohio that she had taken the previous week in order to appear at a stitchery shop in Vermilion OH called Clare's Stitching Post. She was there from 1pm to 4pm on Friday, July 24. If we weren't barred from going to the US during the pandemic, Skip and I most certainly would have traveled there to meet her.

She then ventured to Findlay OH to the Craft Gallery where she got the two new samplers framed and ready for release in the fall.

Because she showed this photo on her FlossTube at 17:15, I think it's OK for me to show a screen shot here. He's holding Above All, the one I stitched for Teresa.
I'll wait 'til she releases it before I show a good, detailed photo of it. As you can see from the photo, it isn't really big - 179 stitches x 178 stitches. I don't remember if it was 35ct or 40 ct fabric. The motifs weren't huge and were fun to stitch. It looks like Teresa was successful stitching the little row of stitches on one of the urns that I missed.

On my own stitching, I've been working on Newcastle Bouquet. It's on 40ct Sandstone linen with one thread over 2. For stitching while I'm videochatting with my stitching friends, I outline something that just has to be filled in (like the leaves) so I don't have to count a lot at the risk of making mistakes. My grid lines are very helpful and are easy to snip and pull out after working in a particular area. I'm missing the hand-dyed floss (Classic Colorworks 228 Licorice Red) for the other half of the red bird (cardinal?) and one skein of the darker green (WDW Bark). Looking online someone was going to charge me almost $10 for shipping within Canada! I am now having to decide if I'll just use the DMC substitute 347 - very dark salmon.
I also need to substitute for one of the flower colours as it's too close to the fabric colour. Either that, or used the called-for colour and just backstitch around it to make it 'pop'.

I have also set myself a goal to FFO (fully finish) one stitched project per week. I have several rolled up in stitchery rolls and all the finishing materials here so there's no good excuse for not tackling some.

We've finally had a break in the heatwave and I was able to sit outside on the deck (under an umbrella) this morning for my stitching videochat this morning. The temperature was perfect and the natural light is great for stitching on 40ct.

No comments:

Post a Comment