Tuesday 6 April 2021

Back At It

After spending 3 days tidying and cleaning the house and entertaining a guest (household of 1 is permitted to join another household) for Easter dinner, on Sunday, I took it easy yesterday. I finished my crocheted Hudson's Bay blanket. and might have enough coloured yarn to do another. But I will have to do the math and weigh the coloured balls to make sure. Who said we'd never use algebra in our lives? I use it all the time when figuring out how much yarn is left on a partially used ball of yarn.

You may recall that I had finished it a few days ago only to discover that my crocheting had relaxed to a point that the blanket was totally distorted on the last part I crocheted. See the ripply part?

After ripping it back and redoing it, with a 5mm hook, it is not perfect but it is MUCH improved.
I also did some work on my William Morris piece.  It's not great for stitching while watching something on TV that I really need to look at as I've had to pick out some erroneous stitches. But I keep working away at it.
What I CAN do while looking at the TV is knit, so I've been working on my 3x1 ribbed Kaffe Fassett socks and almost have the leg done on the second sock.
I'm pretty sure Stephanie still has some of Kaffe's Design Line sock yarn at Myrtle Station Wool.
Now all my crafty stuff is confined to my craft room/office instead of spread all over the house and I can barely walk in here. Tackling that mess is my next big task. 

I go for my first COVID shot today! It will be such a relief to have the first dose. Due to supply limitations, it was decided to vaccinate as many Canadians as possible with the first dose before administering the second one, Unfortunately, as a big experiment, it was arbitrarily decided that the delay for the second dose would be 4 months. There is no evidence that this delay is a good idea and we're the only nation in the world undergoing this experiment.

Skip and I will be ordering celebratory shish kebab takeout from the vaccine site parking lot and will pick it up on the way home from my shot.

And finally, I smashed the screen on my antique (in the tech world), 6 year-old iPhone 6 the other day. It slipped out of my hand and hit the ceramic tile floor on its corner. The phone still works great but the screen is dangerously shattered. I had decided a while back that if anything happened to the phone, I'd replace it with a shiny new one rather than spend the money to repair the old one. The iPhone 6 with a smashed screen is worth nothing as a trade-in and even if repaired can no longer be updated past iOS 12.5.

So it wasn't a hard decision to 'bite the bullet' and order a new one. It's way more fun to shop at an Apple store but that isn't an option during this lockdown. I ended up ordering one from Costco. Their phone price was only a couple of bucks cheaper than Apple but their Apple Care + (extended warranty) was $50 cheaper. I'm not sure how they swing that but it was enough of a discount to get my business.

Yesterday I got this notice from UPS, the service that is delivering my new phone:
A few minutes later I got this message:
WTF! It sounds like an inside job to me. I assume UPS and Costco are duking it out to resolve the situation. If I haven't heard anything by tomorrow, I will contact Costco and see what they're going to do for me.

So who knows when I'll get my shiny new iPhone 12 Pro? In the meantime, I am muddling along with my iPad and my horizontal iPhone 6. I'll be putting cling wrap over the screen to keep the glass in place when I go for my shot.

I've also spent the last 4 days searching for a good case for it that is non-slippery and cute. It's so annoying to not to be able to look at cases in person. Ah well, first world problems.

UPDATE! I called Costco and they are shipping me another phone, Hopefully this time UPS won't cock up the delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment