Monday 26 June 2023

A New Wrist Pincushion

Whilst sewing, I find using a pincushion on my wrist to be very handy. However, the elastic on my old one has stretched out and when I tightened it, it was too hard to get over my hand. It can be done but it's a bit of a struggle. I bought this one at JoAnn's a couple of decades ago.

Then I happened upon a YouTube video on making one like a flower
I had a bunch of small print fabrics that I bought on Amazon - too thin for quilting but perfect for something like this.

You would not believe how long I agonized over what colours and prints to use for the petals and what to use for the centre.  I used a yogurt lid as a template for the circles. The YouTube pattern calls for 5" circles but mine were 4 1/2" in diameter.

Once I made all the decisions and got the fabrics cut, it only took me about an hour to finish. I even had the 'hook and loop tape' (Nancy Zieman's generic term for Velcro™) in my stash. I used a 2 1/4"  diameter piece of container lid for the bottom of the pincushion, tucking it in after stuffing it and gathering the edges.

It's pretty cute!



I will try using elastic on the next one I make and more coordinating fabric. But in the meantime, this one will be very useful.

In stitching news, I also found some 40ct Vintage Country Mocha fabric in my stash that I will use for the Bluework Pear project. I frequently raid Kimat Designs remnant box as they're perfect for smaller project like this. I hope to get started on that sometime today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very cute pin cushion, Geri!

    ReplyDelete