Sunday 18 June 2023

Embroidery Hoop Box

Vonna Pfeiffer had an excellent blog post about constructing a box from embroidery hoops.  

Photo by Vonna Pfeiffer
    Photo by Vonna Pfeiffer

I was inspired to make one, too. Obtaining  a 5" wooden base from Michaels and six 4" embroidery hoops, I set to the task. As mentioned in a previous blog post, I borrowed some stain from Marilyn and Poppy and settled on Early American 230.

After glueing the inner hoops together in a stack, I sought out and began stitching a design for the top: an adaptation of A Quaker Seasonal - Winter from 'The Gift of Stitching' digital magazine, Issue #16, May 2007, using my favourite DMC 115. I finished stitching it last night.

I cut out a sizing template for the top of the lid so I could see how well everything could fit in its parameters. I added a couple of little motifs on the bottom right, my initial on the top right, and mounted the piece with some batting on a piece of foam core. 

Attaching the hinges was the most difficult part. The screwdriver was very 'wee' (as Jen1 would say)  and I couldn't get a good grip on it. I enlarged the pilot holes with a drill and my smallest bit, put on a leather glove for better grip, and got those suckers screwed in.

Then I glued the mounted stitching onto the top.

I haven't decided what stitchery (if any) I'll put on the inside of the lid so for now, I'm just using some coordinating fabric.

I am very pleased with the results.



I'll take it for Show and Share at our guild meeting next week and see if any folks are interested in doing this for a guild project next year.

I also like Vonna's idea of making a second one with holes in the top for scissors. So handy.
Photo by Vonna Pfeiffer

For the box, the bottom could also be lined with felt or fabric or even all around the inside with little pockets. 

I used very cheap inexpensive bamboo hoops. If one wanted to spend the extra bucks, they could purchase high quality wooden hoops. For now, I'm happy with my rustic one.

3 comments: