Sunday 24 December 2023

The Hat I Knit Three Times

 I started knitting this with a 2.75mm needle and after about 5" I realized it was just too dense and I wouldn't have enough yarn to make it big enough. So I frogged it (rip it, rip it) and started again with 3.25mm needles.

It was going along quite well when I realized the yarn was getting thicker and the fabric was getting denser. You see, my handspun is not the most consistent so one must allow for these anomalies. I liked the look of it but still didn't think there would be enough yarn to finish it properly. 

This time I didn't frog it. Rather, I started a new one with larger needles and the other end of the ball of yarn. I knit happily away. I'm knitting from one attempt to the other.

At one point I thought I'd try knitting with two circular needles - one for one half and one for the other. I screwed 4mm tips onto a cable and knit half the sts onto it, working both needles for a couple of rounds. Just for curiosity I thought I'd check the size of the first larger needle and saw that it was 4.25mm. Well, gee. I couldn't really continue with the front half of the hat on 4.25mm and the back half on 4mm so I went back to using only the 4.25mm circular needle. The yarn is getting much thinner at this point. I've been knitting obsessively done all of this since 10pm last night. 

At this rate, I could be finished tonight and give it a good bath so the yarn will bloom.

It's a strange striped pattern but maybe Skip will want to wear it to keep his head warm.

I'm going to check out other skeins of my handspun for suitability to make more of these hats.

I made another HelloFresh meal last night. The Curry Shrimp with Couscous was a success even though I almost burned the couscous by not removing it from the heat right away, No matter, it still turned out great. There were enough leftovers that we had it again for lunch today. It was just as good reheated. People who don't eat leftovers (yes! there are people like that) are really missing out as often the flavours really infuse with reheating.

We've been watching the Formula 1 documentary on Netflix. Although Skip watches it, I've never really been that interested in F1 racing. However the documentary over 5 seasons really draws one in. I didn't realize how much drama there was. In Skip's impatience, we skipped to the second last season (2021) as a leadup to the last season. I do know that Belgian-Dutch Max Verstappen has won every race this year so am interested to see the earlier parts of the trajectory of his fame.

We had a nice FaceTime chat with Scooter this morning. He decided to take a few days off from his online teaching (sometimes up to 8 classes per day!!!) until the New Year. He has some fun things planned with his sister and friends so we'll catch up to him in the new year. He's very close to his sister and likes to hang out with her when she's home from university over the holidays. He has plans to visit her in Montréal at the end of January as well as continuing on to Québac City.

Skip and I decided to not do much in the way of presents for Christmas. The HelloFresh meals were my treat and I have a couple of small things for him for under the tree and for his stocking. Basically we already own everything we want or need. My biggest present is still having him here to spend time with. Not everyone is so fortunate. We've lost so many people over the last couple of years. Aside from impending infirmity, losing friends and family are the worst things about getting older.

We will be enjoying Christmas dinner tomorrow afternoon at a friend's with her family. We won't even have bad weather to be concerned about. Yes, a light snow is very picturesque for Christmas morning but at this point in my life, I don't need snow in any way, shape or form.

Merry Christmas to all who read my blog. I hope you're enjoying the holidays, however you celebrate them.  Thanks for 'listening' to all my ramblings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment