Thursday 28 December 2023

The Deadline Got Me Finishing This

I put the finishing touches on my Winter Rose Manor today. 


The hand-dyed fabric was from my stash so I had to outline the house with CCW Wood Rose to make it pop. The house colour was changed to CCW Bella Rosa and the white was changed to CCW Khaki Mocha. I also changed the colours of the male cardinal's wing and the female cardinal's breast and tail as there wasn't enough contrast with the dyelots of the threads I had.  Because I added several initials, the snowflakes were randomly placed and the date was moved from below the pyramid of trees to the top right corner.

The other big modification was including the initials of the six of us: me (G), Marilyn, Sharon, Poppy, Jennifer, and Barb. Jennifer and Marilyn finished theirs months ago, Barb is working on finishing hers by New Year's Eve.


I think 'The Light of Winter' by the same designer would be a lovely companion piece. 
It's slightly smaller (175 x 175) than Winter Rose Manor (182 x 181). Framed the same, they'd make a lovely pair except I probably can't find the same fabric that I used for Winter Rose Manor. The pattern is hard to find in stock anywhere. It was a retreat piece just released to the general public. I found one on Etsy for about $14US but the shipping is over $15US. What is with shipping costs on Etsy???? I will keep looking...

Supposedly Traditional Stitches has it but they often list items they don't have in stock.

I have the 'Live on Little' project to work on which will certainly take me more than a year to finish stitching at this pace. 

In the meantime, I'd like to 'cleanse my palate' with a small project.

I was inspired by this little ornament from p68 of the 2023 Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament issue.
I see lots of snowflakes I could 'bling' up with my HotFix jewels.

And I've started another Musselburgh hat with this yarn and 3.5mm needles.


2 comments: