Monday 1 January 2024

Happy New Year!!

We celebrated quietly at home last night. I stayed up to watch Anderson and Andy on CNN at Times Square. It was entertaining as usual. I enjoyed one of my little Henkel Troken splits.


Our dinner consisted of hors d'oeuvres - sausage rolls, spanakopita, brie and cranberries in phyllo pastry, and a little charcuterie plate of olives, smoked oysters, kolbassa sausage, Brie and cheddar cheeses, and crackers.

While Skip watched a Bowl game in the afternoon, I listened to an audiobook (a John Grisham novel) and got most of the right, floral border done.
Last night I got more done on the border and today at stitching, I started the star on the top right. The lighter colour is supposed to be the points, but I felt it was too close to the colour of the fabric so I reversed the two colours of the star, with the darker colour on the outside.
The darker colour is WDW Whiskey - a hand-dyed floss. I decided to have the east-west points have horizontal stitches and the north-south point, vertical ones. I really like the colours in this design.
I still haven't made a final decision about what colour I'll do the 'mortar' on the house. I'll see what others' finished pieces look like and make my (hopefully) final decision. As it stands now, the called-for mortar colour is not enough contrast to the 'bricks' at the top of the front of the house. 

I continue to knit away on the new Musselburgh. This was my progress before last night.
Still lots of interesting colours to come...
This is great to knit while watching TV. Once the increases were finished, it was straight knitting. I don't even have to look most of the time, however the 4-ply fingering weight yarn is very 'splitty' and I have to check carefully every once and a while that I've caught all 4 plies. I keep a crochet hook nearby in case I have to ladder down and fix a missed ply which appears as a little loop on the right side of the fabric. 

With the amount of TV Skip and I watch in the evenings, I should have this finished by the end of next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment