Monday 20 August 2018

At Twist Festival

One of the first people we saw that we knew was Natalie Servant - Canadian knit designer and all around great gal. She graciously took a photo of the four of us.
Barb, Poppy, me, Jen1
This booth had lovely fabric. I want to make some of these fabric containers that can be either used folded down or with the sides straight up.
These cacti were knitted.  Another booth had needle-felted ones.
I admired this canvaswork at one booth. It's a technique I'd like to try sometime.
At lunch on Saturday, we thought we'd try the sugar pies. I would have been happy to share one with my 4 companions - they were huge!
This booth sold handwoven dishcloths and dish towels. I bought a cotton/linen tea towel.
One booth that I returned to again and again, each time taking one of my companions, was Mes Broderies Ma Passion . There were beautiful patterns, threads, buttons, scissors, and other embroidery items.

Over the three days, I purchased the following items from this booth:
Two beautiful embroidery books in French by Belgian designer, Marie Suarez. Using our Google Translate apps we can easily interpret the instructions.
There was a festival special, buy two patterns get the third free. So I bought these two
and got this free.
And bought these two
and got this free.
The Hands On Design charts were from the 6-part Block Party. I aspire to own the other 4 charts.

I couldn't resist these adorable FIMO (sculpted plastic clay) ram, ewe, and lambs. They were done in an intricate mille fiori style.
I went back for more fabric and coordinating Valdani threads.
Other purchases I made were a ball of bright green yarn to be used as a background for another Shaun the Sheep case.
Two braids of fibre from The Black Lamb.

These were the fabrics I bought at Magifils on Friday.
 Each night, we'd congregate in Jen1's room and have 'show and tell', look at each other's acquisitions, and plan our moves for the next day.

Friday and Saturday nights we dined at Le Café du Bistrot in the town. For a small town, this was a superb eatery. They had an excellent wine selection and many menu items including personal pizzas, pastas, and entreés of fish, beef, chicken, and other kinds of meats. The desserts looked delicious. We made our reservation for Saturday evening as we were leaving the restaurant on Friday.

For breakfasts, we found a great place, again in the north end of town on the Rue Principale, called La Boucheé Double. It's a burger joint with several delicious breakfast selections.

After a last visit to the Twist Festival on Sunday morning, we headed for home. The driving conditions were excellent and the traffic on the 401 as we approached the GTA surprising moved along.

I would definitely attend this festival again. The vendors were varied and the merchandise was mostly of very high quality. They should be very proud to be Canada's biggest fibre festival.



My travel companions were delightful and as happy to be among knitting and stitching people as I was. Thanks, Barb, Poppy, and Jen1 for a very enjoyable girls' getaway weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment