Tuesday 14 August 2007

Happy Anniversary, Ollie!

Eight years ago, our cat, Eddie, died. He liked to rummage under the sink and steal stuff out of the container where we put vegetable scraps to take out to the composter. One day he ingested the pointy end of a corn cob. It got stuck in his intestine and he got very sick. He had surgery to remove the obstruction ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and make a pretty good recovery. However, a couple of months later, he became ill again. This was just the day before Skip and were heading to Puerto Vallarta on our delayed (by one year) honeymoon. We boarded him at the vet so they could keep an eye on him. When we got home, he had not recovered. He was a very sick kitty cat and we made the decision to have him euthanized. I was very sad as I had owned him for 9 years and had lost my first cat as an adult, Stanley, 3 years before.

After Eddie died, I progressed through the stages of Death and Dying as outlined by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross in the record time of 2.5 weeks.

Scooter and I went to PetsMart where they have a pet adoption agency. We thought we'd get a female cat so I picked one up and gave it the purr test. (The cat that rubs against your face and neck and purrs passes the purr test). I picked up a cute, tabby-with-white, female cat. She wasn't interested in me at all. I picked up her brother and he started purring and rubbing his face on my neck and face. His name was Oliver and he passed the purr test. That was August 15, 1999.

So here we are 8 years later.

Knitting-wise, I finished the first Sweet Pea sock.

I rather like it and am now looking for another fairly intricate pattern to knit after I finish this pair.

The two caterpillars continue to eat, poop and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment