Thursday 24 January 2008

Déjà Vu, All Over Again

Skip and I went out for a lovely breakfast this bitterly cold morning. Our town is so nice and peaceful after all the happy commuters have headed into The Big City. I even got to have a senior's plate which consisted of a two egg breakfast instead of the usual three egg breakfast. After I dropped Skip off at home, I did some shopping and grabbed a quick snack which ended up serving as my lunch.

I bought the current issue of Creative Knitting magazine today. I liked the knitted Easter egg pattern and the short row scarf pattern. I came home and found some other knitted Easter egg patterns online as well. Here's one. And here's another one. I thought the latter one would be easy to do on the GO train so I threw the pattern, a 4mm circular needle and a couple of remnant balls of cotton yarn in a Ziploc bag and threw it in my purse. I made one egg on the way into The Big City and another on the way home. Here they are in their unstuffed state:













I have some pink cotton yarn leftover from the baby washcloth and blanket projects I can use. I'm also going to duplicate stitch a pattern on the blue one.

I got a lovely thank you note from Carrie today. She liked the Cottontots blanket and washcloths I knit for her soon-to-be-born daughter. I have an adorable pair of ballet slippers I also want to give her so I'll either drop them off tomorrow or just pop them in the mail. Aren't they cute?

They're a size 1. I'm not sure what that means but they sure were little.







I finally took a photo of the felted water bottle caddy, too:


I found that it also made a good 'baton' caddy for last night's rehearsal.





























Skip and I headed into The Big City this afternoon to pick up a watch he was having repaired and to attend Scooter's first high school music night. The program was varied and well done. Scooter's strings teacher is a rookie and is doing a wonderful job with all of the string groups. But the Grade 9s in particular were very polished. They're her first Grade 9 class and it is clear that they've bonded as an ensemble. How nice for her it will be to see them through their 4 years. They'll be her first graduating class. A flood of memories came to me thinking back to my first concert as the 'person in charge'. But happily that is all behind me now.

The gal who heads up the band program, Mary Kulyk, has taught there for 30 years. She also happens to be a classmate of mine from the centre of all learning in the universe - The University of Western Ontario. During the pandemonium after the concert when all the groups were assembling for their yearbook photo, I had the opportunity to grab Mary and say a quick hello. When I told her I had a kid in the music program she said, "Who's your kid? Who's your kid?".

She had no time to chat but I did manage to get someone to take a picture of us. Of course, I'm giving camera operating instructions but here we are:


"Still crazy after all these years".







And here we are saying 'cheese!'. (The camera accidentally shot a video as it was on the wrong setting). I included this video clip as I looked less wretched. Click on the Play button below:


Skip and I had a quick walk to t
he subway and made it to the GO station in plenty of time for me to grab a decaf latte and for Skip to scarf down a chocolate croissant.

How nice it is to be able to attend Scooter's concerts and not be in a big rush or exhausted from work. And it was so nice to be able to sit back, enjoy the goings on and not have to be the 'person in charge'. I could just be a parent for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment