Tuesday 22 January 2008

I've Become a Hermit

It has been SO cold! I didn't have any errands to run today so I just stayed home - mostly puttering. I made some granola (recipe to follow), knit some on my Cece cardigan, spent some time on Google Maps plotting our route to Texas. Realistically, it should only take us 5 days if we drive 700 km each day but we can slow down a bit as we near our destination. Besides, I'll want to hit a couple of yarn shops, too! From what I can tell, Corpus Christi has the closest yarn shop from South Padre Island (I don't count Michaels, Hobby Lobby, WalMart, etc. as yarn shops) and that's almost 4 hours away!

Today (now that it's after midnight) I'm getting my hair trimmed. I also will be attending a rehearsal of the Pickering Community Concert Band. Their conductor has taken a leave of absence and I've been asked to conduct until their April concert. I guess I'll be selecting the music for the concert as well.

My friend, MaryAnne, is learning how to knit!! I'm so excited for her - I hope she doesn't get too discouraged. It just takes practice to get comfortable with the 'sticks'. Right now she's deciding whether to do a k2 p2 ribbed scarf or to knit garter stitch. Gosh, I remember my first projects were done on small needles with DK yarn. I always seemed to have extra stitches after a while. And I'm still a pretty tight knitter lo these many years later. I must say since my renewed interest in knitting about 1 1/2 years ago, I've learned TONS about the craft. A lot has been through the Internet, reading peoples' blogs and watching videos on knittinghelp.com and YouTube. It is so exciting for me when I learn a new technique. I guess it's the teacher in me that craves learning new things and having new experiences.

The water bottle caddy felted very nicely and is almost dry. That inexpensive WalMart yarn exactly fit the bill. It should be very handy when we're birdwatching in the Rio Grande Valley. It's not too much longer now 'til we leave and I'm getting pretty excited.

Here's the granola recipe:

8 c. oat flakes (I also substitute 2 c. spelt flakes for 2 of the cups of oat flakes)
2/3 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. veg. oil
½ c. liquid honey or maple syrup
1 c. slivered almonds or raisins
1 c. sunflower seeds (I toast them)
1 - 2 c. shredded coconut (I like to toast it)
½ c. roasted (toasted) sesame seeds

In a big bowl, mix all ingredients, stirring to coat evenly.
Put mixture in greased cake or loaf pans. This amount will fill about 4 cake pans.
Bake at 325° - 350°F for 10 - 15 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t burn.
Cool and store.

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to continue to update your blog while in Texas? Hope so. Your granola sounds good. Similar to a recipe I use except mine uses a combination of oats and wheat flakes and wheat germ also. In the winter I like to add milk and then put the bowl in the microwave for a minute to soften everything up and make a warm breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Julie, I hope to keep up my blog while I'm on my big odyssey. Our condo doesn't have wifi but hope to frequent an Internet cafe in the area every day or so.

    Wheat germ would be a good thing to add to my granola. Ground flax seed would be good for omega-3's as well.

    ReplyDelete