Sunday 19 February 2017

Birding February 19 SPI

This afternoon, Skip and I went to the Birding Center on the island to join a birding tour by one of our Thursday birding colleagues, Robert. We learned last week that Robert lives in Wilmot Creek, only a few kilometres from our home in Canada.

I saw this long-billed curlew fly in and land on the flats in front of the pond to the south of the boardwalk.


This common buckeye conveniently posed for me beside another part of the boardwalk.
You can almost see the bright yellow feet of this snowy egret.
We saw two of the younger gators.

I have spotted the green heron a couple of times in the shade by the drain between two of the ponds.
On the other side of the boardwalk, the great blue heron cooled off. I've never seen this behaviour before.
On the north side, was a flock of roseate spoonbills in varying shades of pink.
I got a decent closeup of one of them.

There were two other green herons at the last pond. Here is one of them.
We didn't really see many new species but very much enjoyed the displays of the ones we saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment