Sunday 25 March 2018

Polo on the Island

This morning we went to the Farmer's Market. Many of the vendors are no longer there as most of the Winter Texans have returned to the north. I was very sad to see my tamale people were no longer there. (sniff, sniff!)

Over on the grass beside the market area is the polo field. Skip and I attended a match there three years ago and I wrote about it in detail here.

Today was a much sunnier day, but I only had my iPhone with me to take photos.

The water behind them is an inlet of the Laguna Madre - the shallow 3km wide waterway between the island and the mainland.

There are three on each team - rather than the customary 4.
Spectators sit on folding chairs on the sidelines. General admission is $7.
The VIPs paid $45 and get to sit under the tents and are served 'heavy hors d'oeuvres' and drinks.

We got to see an exciting goal. (best viewed 'full screen' by clicking on the triangle, then the little square on the bottom right).

The guy with the little flag gets to run over and change the numbers on the portable scoreboard.
There is no end of excitement here on South Padre Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment