Tuesday 13 August 2019

Visitors to the Monarch Farm

There has been a lot of action at Casa Monarca these past two days. 4 adults eclosed yesterday and 3 more today. There was also one in a 'j' formation which pupated a few minutes later. It was #26.
I had kept captive the four that eclosed yesterday as I was expecting young visitors to the 'farm' today and wanted to make sure I had adults to release while they were here. I didn't need to worry as three more eclosed this morning. When I unzipped the 'castle' this guy was ready to taste freedom.
Shortly thereafter he flew over to the cedars along the side fence of our yard. Here, he unfurled his proboscis (tongue), in preparation for feeding.
My friend, Alexa, came over with two of her grandchildren to check out my operation. Oliver and Alice helped me find monarch eggs and larvae out in the garden.

Then they did some relevant colouring.
I sent them home with more activities which could be done back at Grandma's where they are visiting for the rest of the week.

When one has a monarch farm there is always something interesting going on. I'm glad Alice and Oliver could see my operation. It was pretty fun having young ones around.

No comments:

Post a Comment