Thursday 9 July 2020

Wash Day in a Pandemic

We are in a drought and have had record high heat for the last week or so. After lunch I did some laundry including all the masks we've been using when out in enclosed, public spaces. These items will dry in about an hour.
It's handy to have several masks to choose from as we just grab a clean one on the way out the door and toss the used ones beside the wash tubs where I soak them before throwing them in the wash with other items. Once they're off the clothesline, I iron the bejeepers out of them which should definitively kill any remaining viruses.

On Tuesday, we went over to Jen's for our regular weekly evening meeting. We videochatted with our regular Tuesday night folks who couldn't join us in person. We sat 2m apart, outside in the shade, and wore our masks. It was nice spending time with folks in person. We never seem to have trouble finding topics to talk about.  I took my double crochet blanket to work on. I'm running out of acrylic worsted weight yarn from my stash so Alexa dropped some off this morning. I'm about 1/4 done.
 Stitching buddies, Jeanette and Shelley are also making blankets for the chemo patients at our local cancer centre.

I found a remnant of 32ct Belfast linen in my stash that was the perfect size for my Honeybee Sampling by Little House Needleworks.
Honeybee Sampling Cross Stitch Pattern | Little House Needleworks ...
The colour lambswool was called for but the Belfast linen looked very close to the same colour. I just noticed the bee in the 'C' in the pattern is missing from the model on the pattern's cover. I don't feel so bad about leaving out the little row of stitches on the model I just sent back to Teresa Kogut.

I'm rather surprised at how quickly this is stitching up.
I used DMC 420 instead of Gingerbread on the beehive (skep) to provide more contrast with Hazelnut.
I also did vertical satin stitch on the parts where there were 2 rows of Hazelnut. It did expose bare threads above and below so I covered that up with backstitching with the same colour.
I'm using DMC Blanc for the wings, again to provide more of a contrast with the linen fabric. I just noticed I somehow crossed these two stitches on the wing the wrong way.
It's easy to fix, I'll just go over it again in the other direction.

That bee motif would be cute on a scissor fob or in the corners of a biscornu.

Aside from these crafty things, I haven't been doing much. I'm SO bored with cooking and all that goes with that - planning, shopping, taking items out of the freezer to thaw, firing up the barbecue, preparing the meal. UGH! I'm SO sick of my cooking. My mouth is even bored. Some day soon we will order from the local Indian restaurant. That'll wake up my mouth.

I still haven't the courage to get my much-needed pedicure. The shop I go to is a husband and wife business and she does the pedicures. There certainly would't be anyone else in there. I guess I'll call for an appointment one of these days. I'm not sure my hairdressing shop is even in business any more. I'm still to chicken to go for a haircut. In my mind, it is more dangerous to have a hairdresser near my head and face for 1/2 hour than a pedicurist 4+ feet away from my head and face for the same amount of time.

I miss sitting around a table with my stitching friends and stitching the day away. In the meantime, we satisfy ourselves with our videochats and the occasional deck visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment