Thursday 2 September 2021

Faux Sashiko and Hexagons

I started the blackwork Faux Sashiko project yesterday while outside in the bright light and on my Wednesday afternoon Zoom call. I'm using Coton á Broder B5200 #12 on this 32ct navy Zweigart linen. It's a lot like Perle cotton. The thread is kinda thick. I'm not too sure about hat. I definitely need a bright light to stitch this. Outdoors is best.

The squares are 24st square and I'm stitching the borders every 2 sts. It worked out great for the first one I did but the second square starts one stitch down and in so the ends don't align with the border. 

I am on the 22nd hexagon. I think I'll need around 50 of them, depending on the desired final dimensions which I haven't decided on yet.

The Silk Garden yarn will make a soft, light blanket/throw. I have 3 skeins of Noro Cash Iroha in a grape colour. It's pretty close in weight and has similar composition. I bought it years ago on sale at Mary Maxim in Port Huron MI. That outlet is closed for shopping - only a mail order outlet now.

After knitting all that up, if I need more yarn, I'll see if I can swap someone for a couple more balls of the Silk Garden. Otherwise, I'll actually buy what I need to finish the project. 

I am on a real stash-busting jag. Throws and blankets use up decent quantities but I'm not sure how many we need. I may have to start giving them away.

Today is our first cool day in weeks. The humidity has broken and we actually turned the fan off over our bed last night. As much as I love the warm summers (and am grateful for air-conditioning), I'm kinda looking forward to cooler weather and hauling our my woollens.

1 comment: