Tuesday 24 January 2023

Swing Needle Pattern

 In an attempt to clear away some clutter in my office/craft room, I came upon this long-abandoned scarf project. The piece of paper inside the bag had a Swing Needle Pattern on it.


I yanked the 6.5mm needles out of it thinking I would unravel the project, rewind the yarn, and repurpose it or donate it. Then realized it was already pretty long and I could probably finish it to about 6 ft in an evening.

I stuck the needles back in and determined where I was in the two row pattern. 

Then carried on. Yarn A is the black sparkly yarn and yarn B is the chunky Nature's Way chunky yarn. Swing knitting is done with double pointed needles or a circular needle. After one row with one yarn, everything slides to the other point and the remaining yarn is picked up and worked.
It was easy to figure out where I was in the pattern as the black yarn (A) had just completed a knit row. So I slid the stitches to the other end of the circular needle and started the K1, P1 row with the marled yarn (B). There are only 20 sts so I'm pretty sure I can finish this scarf during tonight's Zoom call with my Whitby Spinners and Fibre Friends or most certainly afterwards when Skip and I watch TV.

A couple of weeks ago I took advantage of an introductory special for Hello Fresh - a meal kit delivery service. We particularly liked the Ricotta Zucchini Fritters with Garlic Aioli sauce so I made them again last night. Yumm-o! I need to find a way to drain more moisture out of the zucchini but even a bit sloppy they were delicious. Because everything in the kit comes pre-measured, all the ingredients got used. I only needed 100g of ricotta cheese but they come in 400g containers so I've made it twice with slightly more than 100g of the cheese each time and have enough left over to make the recipe again.

Tomorrow, I'm spending a nice day at Jeanette's stitching with the regular gang. We have lots to talk about including booking our hotel rooms for the Hobby House Primitive Needlearts Primer Retreat that I mentioned in the previous post. Also our progress on Winter Rose Manor, other charts we want to stitch, looking forward to our retreat at Isaiah Tubbs Resort in March, and our guild's retreat at the end of April. 

All these things to look forward to help me get through this difficult time we are having because of Skip's health. Is it a good thing to distract myself with my creative pursuits and keep searching for the positives in our lives? I don't know but it seems to be working for me. Whatever will happen is going to happen and I cannot do anything about it. I can only control how I react and what I do about any given situation. This mentality has served me well over the course of my life so far. I'll just keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment