Tuesday 24 January 2023

Therapeutic Crafting

I finished knitting the grey and black Family Slippers (free pattern from Churchmouse Yarns & Teas) using worsted acrylic yarn from my stash. 

Not sure if I'll make pom poms for them.

The double thickness makes them very durable and warm. I could add a leather heel to the bottom of the sole for even more durability.
They're not much to look at, for sure. But they do remind me of my late mother-in-law who used to knit them for everyone in the family. 

The pattern suggests that they be made shorter than the actual feet they're meant for but I made mine the exact length so they were snug but didn't need to stretch. The double-yarn fabric really isn't that stretchy length-wise. 

I have lots more acrylic yarn in my stash I can use up. Perhaps another Excavation blanket would work well. Here's one I did with sock yarn remnants. I used needles at the high end of the size range to get a nice 'drapey' fabric.
Only two rows are knit before changing colours and it's all garter stitch. 

We're going through a tough time right now with Skip's health.  I'm finding the knitting to be quite soothing. 

I have also been working on Winter Rose Manor - both at stitching yesterday and last night. Filling in the pink house is great to do when socializing or watching TV.  No chance for error or counting needed. I will probably need to use that second skein of 'Bella Rosa' to finish the house - if I can find it...
Because I chose a fabric from my stash rather than the called-for fabric, there isn't a lot of contrast between the house and the fabric, I'll select a slightly darker colour and backstitch down both sides of the  house for more definition.

Tomorrow the gang is stitching at Jeanette's. 4 out of the 5 of us are working on Winter Rose Manor.

I didn't remember hearing from Hobby House Needleworks about the retreat we're attending next October. I just wanted to know I had gotten into my first two choices of classes so I emailed them a couple of days ago. I heard back and I did get my top two choices. I think we all did since we registered so early. I still need to make a reservation at the hotel as that cost wasn't included in the retreat fee. I'm confirmed for the Maggie Bonanami wool appliqué class, and punch needle and cross stitch with the mother-daughter team of Kathy Barrick and Liz Mathews.

Teresa received the model I stitched for her yesterday. She showed a sneak peak of 'Kindred Spirits' on her Instagram.
She will be releasing the pattern at Market the first weekend of March. I really loved the colours. Here's another sneak peak she posted on her Instagram before she sent me the materials.
It'll be fun to see what all the designers are releasing at Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment