Friday 12 May 2023

A Little Bit of Birding

Nearby is a protected area for wildlife with the Waterfront Trail running through it. Skip and I went birding there today - just for a little while.

We noted a single patch of trilliums still in bloom.

I saw this flash of red and identified it as a scarlet tanager.
The faded Red Admiral butterfly spent a lot of time on the dandelion.
The striping on the antenna is really visible here.
We heard lots of birds that my Merlin app identified: Song sparrows, yellow warblers, ring-billed gulls, red-winged blackbirds, black-capped chickadees, American goldfinches, Northern parula, house wrens, white-throated sparrows, American redstarts, etc. We didn't see most of them but I did get some shots of a couple of other birds. A grey catbird. I love how the birding setting on my old Nikon B500 lets me get shots behind twigs and foliage.
White-crowned sparrow.
And a not great photo of a yellow warbler.
Then we went for coffee and ice cream cones. It was a nice outing.

Last night I started Cardinal Kin.
There are still a couple of skeins of floss I need to pick up. I did most of this stitching while watching TV and had to rip some rows out because I was having a challenge getting the right counting. I did fudge on the female cardinal's body but it won't be noticeable. To make sure the borders meet up properly I'll start the side borders in the vertical centers and work up and down to the top and bottom borders. If I have to fudge any more elements, I'm OK with that. When I stitch models for my designers I never alter the stitch counts but this is a piece for me and I know it will turn out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment