Thursday 11 May 2023

Conversion Charts for Floss AND Fabrics

I am trying to do as much crafting (stitching/sewing) from my stash. I have a modest collection of hand-dyed floss but unless the called-for colour is a large part of the motif where the variegation is desired, I will default to the DMC equivalent if I don't have the right hand-dyed colour.

There are all kinds of conversion charts available from one brand to another (i.e. DMC to Weeks Dye Works, Classic Colorworks to DMC, etc.). 

Today I wanted to start putting together the materials to stitch Cardinal Kin from Plum Street Samplers. 
There are two versions, the lighter one (pictured on the bottom), and the darker version Cardinal Kin II (top left).

I prefer the brighter, lighter version but didn't have the called-for fabric so I  'shopped' from my vast fabric stash. I recalled that I've seen some stitchery shop give a DMC equivalent to the colour of the fabric. Sure enough, Cross Stitching Supplies, stated the called-for fabric, Winter Brew from R & R is similar to DMC 3782.

Using my DMC Colour Card, I rummaged through my stash and found a very similar piece of 40ct fabric to DMC 3782. I have no idea what to origin of fabric it is - I just know it matches well and I'm happy to make a smaller version of the design.

Another handy online tool is Cody Hoover's Floss Color Tool. If I want to find an approximate match to a called-for DMC floss I often use it to find another DMC alternative. It also converts from DMC to Anchor to DMC.

Now I'll zigzag around the fabric, pull the colours, and get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment