Tuesday 16 July 2024

A Bit of This and That

I have been spending more time on the Live on Little sampler. I got the Canadian flag done and more words. 


I think I can get this finished in the next month.

I've also been working on the Cornflower scissor case. Last night I got all but two leaves finished and the darkest green on the receptacles (or what Mary Corbet calls the 'calyx'). I remember the terms sepal and calyx from Grade 10 Science with Mr. Bryenton. 

I'll finish the leaves in the corner next then the middle diamonds on the receptacles with medium green. I'm really looking forward to doing the cornflower blossoms themselves. 

I don't have cornflower blue silk to line the pouch but will surely find something in my stash that will work for a lining.

I spent about 5 hours today on the computer or phone dealing with various issues, updating credit card information, setting up appointments, scanning documents and sending them to the lawyer, etc. etc. And now I'm doing this. 

I am looking forward to meeting with my Tuesday night crafty friends to kick back and have some girl talk. 

Oh yeah, and I booked another getaway - cross-border shopping in the Buffalo area and a visit to the new Hobby House outside of Rochester NY. I'm really looking forward to browsing. I certainly don't NEED anything but one never knows what one will see that one can't find back home. Poppy and I will be staying at a hotel that I think was built since the last time I was there. I believe it is where the old Carmine's Restaurant used to be before it burned down in 2015. Carmine's has reopened across from the Transitown Plaza on the west side of Transit Rd just south of Main St/Rte 5.

One of the restaurants Skip and I loved to frequent was La Tolteca. Our hotel is across the street and up a half a block from it on the corner of Sheridan Rd. I just noted that Olive Garden is right across the street from the hotel, too. 

JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Barnes and Noble, Big Lots!, etc. are also in the vicinity. Wheeee!!!

It's going to be very fun. 

So yesterday I hear machine-gun-like hammering on a window in the kitchen. I ran into the dining room and saw a juvenile, male, downy woodpecker hammering on the window flashing.


I imagine that if I hadn't shooed him away, the little bugger would have gone right through the aluminum. He then spent quite a bit of time excavating the contents of an old anchor plug in the wall. 
Photo taken through a window that had just been rained on.

And finally, I saw the cutest orange tabby kitten that is available for adoption. It was all I could do not to run out and pick little Benji up. Isn't he just the sweetest??? 


It's so hard for our pets when we travel and takes a big commitment to find folks to look after them during an absence. Maybe after my 'Year of Yes' I'll think about getting a cat but only if one of my friends or neighbours will be willing to look after it when I travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment