Wednesday 31 July 2024

Sue Spargo Class

Poppy, Barb, and I ventured up to Farm Girl Quilting near Beaverton for an introductory Sue Spargo class with Trina from The Cotton Harvest Quilt Shop in Seaforth ON. She is a Canadian stockist for Sue Spargo products and teaches classes regularly at Farm Girl Quilting.

Our homework was to sew nine wool felt 'pennies' onto a wool felt background. We used DMC floss the same colour as the penny and the whip stitch.

At the class, Trina explained how Sue Spargo started her 'empire' which currently involves herself and three of her 4 adult children.

Then Trina began instructing us on the chain stitch which we stitched around one of the pennies (yellow thread). Then again just on the inside edge of the penny (lime green thread), then again with that colour and finally, a round of turquoise thread. I finished the centre with several colonial knots.
Sue Spargo's book, "Creative Stitching - Second Edition"** provides diagrams for all the stitches. 

I then outlined another penny with the chain stitch. Trina then explained the Detached Chain stitch (aka Lazy Daisy stitch) which I did in the variegated turquioise thread. Then I filled in with light yellow Colonial knots.
I then went on to another penny and outlined with a version of the Fly stitch (Purple). The Palestrina stitch was our next one. I didn't get it quite right on this penny. Pistil stitch was next (fuschia) -  basically, it's a French knot at the end of an elongated stitch. I filled in the bottom with green Thorn stitches.
I did much better on my second try of the Palestrina stitch. Trina coached me one-on-one through the first couple, then I was 'off to the races'.
I had to laugh - my photo ID called this image some kind of key lime pie - until I zoomed in. 

One application I have seen for this stitch is to embellish the edges of Christmas ornaments alternating with beads. I'm going to try that.

The final stitch Trina showed us was the bullion stitch. I've watched lots of videos but had never done it myself. Trina showed us that it could be done fairly flat - with just enough wraps to fill the space. Or it could be raised a bit but adding extra wraps; then really loopy by adding even more wraps. Pictured below are my attempts at just filling the space or adding a couple more wraps for a bit of dimension.

Mary Corbet used a bullion knot loop as the fastener for her Cornflower Scissor Pocket. I usually use cording but I might try her idea when I go to finish mine.

This is what I accomplished at our class.
Trina likes to work on a felt pressing mat. While resting her needle, she just sticks it in the mat. I use pin cushions but the mat idea is a good one.

** Sue's book is very comprehensive. 

The first section deals with excellent descriptions and diagrams of the various needles used in wool felt appliqué - including photos upon which needles can be place for identification. Her signature threads are then described including what needle should be used with each weight. The rest of the book outlines many embroidery stitches. There is a very handy alphabetical index at the back. The penultimate section of the book includes photos of stitch variations. 

Sue's variegated perle cotton and wool blend threads have colour repeats at much smaller intervals than other variegated threads like Valdani or DMC. She also has many bright colours. I plan to substitute several DMC perle cotton threads for now.

During breaks I went around the room and took pictures of what other folks were working on. I was quite intrigued with the 'Tinsel' book.
Trina has been doing this as an online Block of the Month club. I'm not sure I want to invest in all the wool felt and coordinating threads in the Sue Spargo line but could certainly use things from my stash and supplement with other commercial threads.

I will keep my eye out for Trina's other online classes.

Of course I had to buy a needleroll kit which included the pattern and felt. I bought two spools of called-for variegated thread. Using my DMC Threaded Colour card I have found substitute colours for the other perle cotton threads. There may come a day when I invest more money into Sue Spargo products but for now, I'm happy with what I have. 

It was a very enjoyable day spent with other enthusiastic embroiderers.

No comments:

Post a Comment