Monday 12 May 2008

Saturday was the Grand Opening of Hedgehog Stitchery, upstairs in Kniterary. It was also the 2nd anniversary of the opening of Kniterary and Martina's first anniversary as owner. I'm sure she is amazed at how fast this past year has gone. Several knitters were present throughout the day. When I arrived at about 1pm, the parking lot was packed and it was really busy inside.

Yesterday, Skip and I had our (now annual) Mother's Day golf game at Lyndebrook Golf Course. It's a great time to golf because most moms are being feted at home and their golfing family members are at home with them. We had one couple ahead of us and no one behind us for a couple of holes. We sped through the course in 1.5 hours and enjoyed the sunshine and just being outside.

I spent some time last night planning the 'cable without a cable needle' lesson at Kniterary on June 4 from 7 - 9. I made up a chart and the instructions. I just have to knit some swatches and get some bulky yarn for the demo and I'll be all set.

This morning Skip and I got up at 5am (!) to go birding. This is about the last week for good birding. Once the leaves come out, it is really difficult to see the birds. We first went to Thickson's Woods. We heard the oriole and several warblers but didn't see them. I did see an American redstart (setophaga ruticilla)for the first time:













I also spotted a Rose-breasted Grosbeak (pheuticus ludovicianus) in the middle of 'the meadow'.

The only other time I have seen one was with Skip a few years back at Lynde Shores before I was really a birder.




Another migrating bird we spotted was the White-crowned Sparrow (zonotrichia leucophrys)











Again we saw a goldfinch















and a very industrious downy woodpecker.













One of my favourite sights at this time of year are the emerging trilliums. They are the provincial flower of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment