Wednesday 20 August 2008

13 Medals

Yesterday was 'Super Tuesday' (as CBC claimed) for Canada when we won 3 silver medals and 1 bronze medal. So far none have been won today (which is currently 10pm tonight in Beijing local time). At least with our 13 medals, we have improved upon our medal count of 12from the Athens 2004 Olympics. AMAZING! Jamaica's Usain Bolt, at the age of 22, just broke the world record and won a gold medal with a time of 19.3 seconds in the men's 200m run. He won the gold with a world record on Saturday. He's the first person to win double gold with world records in the 100m and 200m races in 104 years of Olympic games. What a race! We have now heard that Wallace Spearmon who crossed the line second and thought he won the silver medal, got disqualified for stepping on the lane line. Yeesh! He won't be happy.

I finished the garter stitch kimono for Sophia, Carrie's baby, whom I will be visiting this afternoon. It came out to be 18 - 24 mo. size (I was aiming for 12 - 18 mo.) because I was using one size bigger needles.




















I'm knitting a hat as well - rolled stocking stitch brim, garter stitch, i-cord knot on top - but didn't get it finished in time. I'll mail it when I'm done.

I'm making good progress on the Swallowtail Shawl. I'm on the second Lily of the Valley pattern. It still looks like a blob but I'm sure it'll look lovely (although not flawless) once finished and blocked.
















Zeta is getting ready to emerge from its chrysalis. Soon we'll be able to see some orange streaks in the black background.
















After breaking out, it will spend several hours unfurling its wings and eventually opening and closing them to get all the circulation flowing. Then it will just fly away.

The other two pupae will likely emerge within the next couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. The kimono is gorgeous! I love the width of the colours and how they worked up.

    ReplyDelete