Sunday 10 August 2008

Cautiously Optimistic

I am hoping the saga of the defective Amana refrigerator has come to a close. The repairer arrived on Thursday with a replacement component (a plug-in circuit board) and installed it. So far, so good. I won't be believe it's completely fixed until a week goes by without the freezer freezing up solid. I am urging people NOT to buy Amana/Whirlpool/Maytag/Kenmore refrigerators. Samsung, LG and GE are fine as they have nothing to do with Whirlpool et al.

I finished the 16th square on Thursday and cast on #17. I wanted to do one of the sweater patterns from the wonderful Alice Starmore "Fishermen's Sweaters" book. It is the Inishmaan pattern. I knit about 5" and didn't like the look of it. I had jammed all the patterns together and it really needed a couple of stitches of reverse stockinette between each stitch pattern.

Last night I ripped it all out and redesigned it using 5 of the stitch patterns with the stocking stitch separating them and it looks much better. Also, since I cast on during the Olympics, it now qualifies as an Olympic knitting item.

Butterfly Epsilon flew away on Thursday or Friday so now Zeta has pupated and we expect Eta to follow suit soon. Theta is still chowing down on milkweed.

We have had a busy and enjoyable weekend. Friday night we went for dinner with several of Skip's golfing buddies and then went to see Mamma Mia! I enjoyed it as much the second time - hey, I love singing and dancing. Yesterday we went to Lorna's for lunch and to visit her, John who is up from Florida and Megan who is home from Ecuador. Today we headed to Taste of the Danforth to meet Skip's cousin, Rosanne and her husband, Chris. It has become an annual tradition for us. There were many things I would have loved to have had but I restrained myself by having one spanakopita (spinach and cheese pie), one chicken souvlaki skewer and a fruit drink. We also went to one of our favourite cheese stores on the Danforth and bought some Lappi, a mild Finnish cheese, and some lower fat Jarlsberg.

In between all of these activities we've been watching the Olympics in French and English on CBC and also on NBC. Whenever there's a commercial we just flip to another one of the stations. If I stay up late enough, I can see a lot of live coverage of morning events.

No comments:

Post a Comment