Saturday 8 December 2018

Wool Appliqué Class

My 'girl gang' Jen, Jeanette, Barb, Marilyn, and I took a wool appliqué yesterday at the Quilter's Cupboard in Uxbridge.

Marilyn and I worked on the table mat from Buttermilk Basin table mat.
Penny Mats Thru the Year: November Pattern & Kit
I forgot to cut out my doors and windows so this is as far as I am. My stitches aren't the most consistent but they work well with the primitive nature of this craft. I may add some flowers to the front yards of the house.
I chose not to use fuse my pieces to the base fabric. I used freezer paper to cut them out. Instead I basted the pieces on with long stitches and one strand of sewing thread. I learned that technique at the wool appliqué class I took in October. Basting pieces this way prevents the wool from shifting, the stitches are easy to snip and remove, and the result is 'puffy' appliquéd pieces. I will be fusing the doors and windows to the gold house pieces.

I used good felted wool for the base and will be backing it with commercial polyester felt and whip stitching the two pieces together. I may fuse them together as well to give the mat a bit of firmness.

I LOVE the micro serrated scissors I purchased for doing wool appliqué. Unfortunately I misplaced the guard for the tip yesterday but found it today. Crisis averted.

I now have TONS of projects to work on which will keep me busy when we go south in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment