Friday 28 December 2018

Finally Framed

I have had this piece stitched since last year which is also the year that Skip and I did our Scandinavian tour. This is what the wharf (Bryggen) probably looked like in Bergen Norway a century ago.
I bought the kit for it at a stitching/yarn shop right on this iconic wharf area. It was a Permin of Copenhagen kit with the floss nicely separated, the chart, and Aida fabric. I chose to use a piece of 32ct Irish linen. It has been sitting on the 8 x 10 frame, ready to go for almost a year. I think the entire process of cutting the foam core, lacing and stretching the piece and getting it into the frame took half an hour.
We also have this magnet on our fridge.

Bryggen Bergen is now a World Unesco sight and very manageable for tourists. Lots of places to shop at and eat. The Hanseatic Museum is there and many other historical buildings.

This is what it looks like nowadays.
The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bryggen... In Bergen, Norway. (16)
We LOVED our Scandinavian tour and I'm so happy I now have a stitched memory of one aspect of it.

The reason I haven't posted anything in over a week is I've basically done nothing blogworthy since the day after my last post. I came down with some respiratory crud that didn't go away with tons of sleep, lots of liquid intake, 6 year-old inhalers and acetaminophen. I was in bed an average of 23.5 hours a day from last Friday until yesterday morning.

My doctor was in from 10 - 3 yesterday and was able to see me at 11. I am now on a big daily dose of antibiotics and Symbicort (steroid inhaler to reduce inflammation) for 10 days with instructions to return to her office on Saturday for a chest x-ray if I'm not significantly better. I did actually feel quite a bit better last night after (ahem) clearing some chest congestion and today seem to be up to about 80% operation. I spent the entire day today out of bed. Granted, I loafed in front of the TV a lot and watched Flosstube video podcasts on Youtube, etc., but I had energy, I wasn't as shaky, I felt a bit stronger, by afternoon my appetite had returned. So if it was pneumonia, we have it licked and I'm very glad because I missed Christmas and it must have sucked for Skip although he wouldn't say so.

I had to cancel a trip over New Years to visit my family next week because I don't want to stray very far from home for a while. I've never been incapacitated this long before and it took a lot out of me - and scared me a little, too.

But I'm well on the mend and we are formulating plans for New Year's Eve dinner at the Mandarin, then back home to ring in the new year.

So a belated Merry Christmas to my readers.

2 comments:

  1. glad you are on the mend and have a wonderful new year celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Vancouver Island. I have been following your posts for awhile and thought to introduce myself. I too had the weird chest Christmas and understand quite a few of us did. Thinking I might get on the treadmill this morning. I marvel at how many crafts you do and how often you get away with friends on extended crafty trips. Some of your trips to NY are amazing. I am recently transplanted from Ottawa and never thought of checking out NY. I am predominantly a Rughooker and am just venturing into sewing and a bit of embroidery and hopefully wool appliqué. Thanks for all the marvelous photos of your beautiful work...very encouraging. Hope you feel yourself again soon, Deborah

    ReplyDelete