Saturday 11 June 2022

Another Project with Selvages

I wanted to make a smaller project with selvages so I hauled out the pattern for the Cross Stitch Clutch from Starlight Stitching Co.

The interfacing was already cut out and the vinyl was a remnant. 

My idea was to use selvages with printing or numbers on one half and solids on the other half.

I'm not sure it was a great idea but with the contrasting zipper and binding, what the heck.

I substituted buckrim for the Pellon 70, a firm stabilizer. The buckrim was fusible but the batting was not so I basted the pieces all around with a 1/8" seam so things wouldn't shift.

The other modification was omitting the pocket fabric and just having a vinyl pocket. That eliminated two other layers of fabric when attaching the binding all around.

The snaps are put in place before the vinyl pocket and binding are attached.
The other two were left until the end and placed to match up with the others.
I'm pretty happy with how the mitres turned out in the corners.
The little felt piece is for needles or pins.
It actually went together pretty well. Instead of sewing down the wider strip above the zipper, I glued it in place as I didn't want a seam line to show up inside.
I just need to add a zipper pull. In the future, I'll make that piece narrower so it doesn't go over the spine of the closed clutch. 

I haven't found a use for the selvages that have fuzzy edges. I may just discard them because heaven knows I have enough bags of things to keep organized.

I watched a project bag YouTube video tonight and learned something that I will try on my next bag. 

The small for our guild's exchange was delivered to our house. The person rang the bell and I only caught a glimpse as they scurried back to their car. I didn't want to look and see who it was so I looked away. We're all waiting until next Wednesday for the big reveal at our final meeting before the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment