Saturday 4 June 2022

Knitting Conundrum

I thought I had finished the sleeves on the stripey sweater I'm knitting with my handspun. I tried on a sleeve and it was way too short. I have knit another couple of inches and it's getting close to the measurement I want. Not sure why my initial calculation was way off. I will probably also need to lengthen the body a bit.

I have started knitting a simple corner to corner baby blanket for our neighbours' child's birth expected near the end of the month. I had knit a few preemie blankets but never got them to the intended hospital so I unravelling them and using the yarn for the carriage-size (28") blanket. I am not that happy with the feel of it. It's an acrylic DK but isn't that soft. I may have to take a run to the big box store to find something softer. 

I did a wee bit on the Quaker sampler since last time.

I did get the bigger, triangular scissor case finished and it fits the scissors!
The pattern was pretty easy to adapt. Basically I printed two copies, cut out the parts I wanted to move and pasted them on one of the printouts a few squares away. All the motifs are in the same position, I just moved them apart along the fold line for the flap to leave more space.
I had a scrap of fabric from a quilt top I made decades ago - a printed moiré, to go behind the open Hardanger area.
I cut pieces just large enough to cover the openings, put them in place and ironed a piece of fusible interfacing on the entire back of the stitching. This held the pink pieces in place.


For the fastener, a pearl bead was sewn in place. A piece of cording left over from the previous scissor case was used for the loop.
None of this was difficult. It just took a long time. 

Durene Jones has recently published another pattern  with a bit of Hardanger. I just checked and it's half price right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment