Friday 9 August 2024

Cornflower Scissor Case is Done!

I spent most of the afternoon and evening working on a stealth project. Afterwards, I decided to buckle down and fully finish the cornflower scissor case.

I cut some interfacing to just fit inside the drawn lines and pressed it into place; then made a bit of cording with DMC 3838 for the loop closure. Next came the cutting of the lining, pinning it, and sewing the lining to the stitching just inside the black drawn lines, right sides together.

After turning everything right side out (I never did read Mary Corbet's finishing instructions), I gave it a good pressing and sewed the back seam shut with ladder/mattress stitch.

I'm pleased with the results.

The back with the loop over the pearl bead closure.
The inside...
and outside with the flap open...
Here's a closeup of the cording loop... I used 4 strands of DMC which is doubled when folding the twisted cord in half.
and the pearl bead. 
To recap, I used 46ct Bristol linen from the Artiste line - sold in packages at Hobby Lobby, and the called-for colours in the pattern. I printed the pattern on to a Sticky Fabri-Solvy sheet (water soluble stabilizer), peeled off the backing paper, stuck it on to the linen and stitched through both the stabilizer and fabric. When I was done, I washed the stabilizer away, let the stitching dry and pressed it face down on a fluffy terry-cloth towel.

I wanted to get it done to take to Kimat Designs' stitching day on Saturday for the Show and Share table. 

I was busy in the garden today. The lawn mowing guy comes tomorrow and I wanted to clean things up a bit. Also it's yard waste week and I wanted to get a bag filled and out to the curb, that included transferring a bunch of yard waste from one of the composters into the bag, too. I trimmed the bayberry bush beside the garage and the other plant (whose name escapes me now) beside it. It was much cooler today with overcast skies which made working in the garden a bit more enjoyable. There was still a lot of profuse sweating. 

After lunch I had visitors drop in two separate times so enjoyed the pause in activity to get caught up. Then I started my stealth project.

Tomorrow I'll do some tidying up and maybe more culling of stuff in an attempt to turn Skip's office into my sewing room. It would be so handy to have the machine always set up and ready to go and have all the sewing accouterments readily at hand. This, however, will be an ongoing project for a while - so much stuff to get rid of. One good thing, though, I found Skip's point and shoot Lumix camera and it's the same model as the one I smashed on a rock in Port Isabel in 2020. Skip's works great and has pretty good 'zoomage'. I'll be taking that one on my various trips rather than my bigger, better, bulkier Nikon camera. The Nikon is awesome for birding but I'd rather travel with a smaller point and shoot. The iPhone takes spectacular photos but doesn't zoom in as closely as the Lumix.

No comments:

Post a Comment