Friday 2 October 2020

A New Start

 I have been thoroughly enjoying browsing through the Sampler and Antique Needlework Quarterly CD I ordered from The Book Depository. It first popped up as an ad on Facebook (gotta love those algorithms) so I investigated the price (including tax and postage) from Annie's and a couple of other places. 

The CD has all 80 issues of the magazine as .pdfs. As I browse, I print the patterns I'd love to do at some point. The motifs on many of the samplers could be used on smalls - scissor fobs, pin cushions, etc. or redesigned for smaller pieces.

I loved this one from Vol. 25, Winter 2001.


Of course I had everything I needed in my stash, the fabric, the #8 perle cotton both DMC and a variegated Valdani and the same colour of DMC floss to substitute for the #12 perle cotton (two strands of DMC = 1 strand of #12 perle cotton).

I bought the 32ct Lugana fabric at Twist a couple of summers ago. There was a wonderful stitchery booth called "Mes Broderies Ma Passion" that I visited at least 4 times during our time there.

I cut a 6" x 18" piece from it so changed the size on the label for future reference.

I have been quite obsessed with this since I started it. It took me a while to develop the 'rhythm' of stitching this and I have ripped out and re-stitched several long courses of Kloster blocks to get the thread counts correctly. 
I'm trying to decide what kind of material I will use to 'stiffen the pocket a bit. I could use thin, acid-free cardboard or a piece of buckram left over from another project. Not sure I want it really stiff or just the back of the pocket and a looser flap.

My plan is to use it for my needle packets rather than a scissor case. However, I do intend to stitch the matching scissor fob. 

I haven't stitched much (if anything) on my Quaker alphabet sampler.

Mostly I've been plugging away on the model I'm stitching for Teresa Kogut. There's no hurry on it as I think it's for her spring release at Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment