Thursday 29 October 2020

Another Pair of Katwijker Socks

 I really like this textured sock pattern. This is the third or fourth pair I've knit with this pattern.

The yarn is Fleece Artist Kidazzle - 70% merino, 20% kid mohair, 10% nylon. I bought it at the first KnitEast in 2011 out in St. Andrew's-By-The-Sea, NB. I took a class with Cat Bordhi (RIP) on her Insouciant Socks where we created a cardboard template of our foot which served as a guide for custom knitting toe-up socks for our own feet. She was a brilliant designer and teacher. This was one of her favourite yarns.

I tend to wear out the bottoms of the heels of my socks. On this pair, I added reinforcing yarn - the kind that comes as a spool in some balls of sock yarn (e.g. Jawoll). I wasn't concerned that it didn't match the colour of the sock yarn.  Once I rounded the heel, I used this yarn to knit the short rows as well as continuing the 'eye of partridge' slipped stitch pattern on the bottom of the heel. As I was knitting in the round, I just cut the reinforcing yarn at the end of where I was using it and started another strand at the beginning of that part on the next round. 
The slipped stitches leave a strand on the wrong side which serves as a second layer of yarn. The reinforcing yarn doesn't match but who's going to see it while the sock is being worn?

 I believe with that and the reinforcing yarn, I won't be wearing a hole in the heel of these socks for a long while. Sock number #2 is almost finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment