Saturday 31 October 2020

No Second Sock Syndrome for Me

I finished the second Katwijker sock yesterday while watching FlossTube episodes. 

We got our first hard frost last night so they will be very cozy on my feet as the winter settles in. 

This time last year Skip and I were preparing to fly down to south Texas to spend a couple of weeks in the Rio Grande Valley and do some birding during the fall migration. The trip down took over 20 hours but once we were there we had a thoroughly wonderful time re-acquainting ourselves with the familiar places. We decided this should be an annual event (in addition to spending the winters down there) but that is not to be in 2020.

I've also been stitching the watermelon pincushion I ordered from mybobbin.com.

I couldn't iron it for the photo or the guide lines would disappear but this is what I've done so far.

When I'm done stitching I'll press it from the wrong side face down on a terry cloth towel and the black lines will disappear. Then the pieces will be cut out leaving a 3/8" margin.The oval part will be folded in half and the 'rind' will be attached along the edges. It will be stuffed for a 3D effect and then cording will be made and added along the edges. I haven't stitched anything on Aida cloth for quite a while but it's perfect for something like this that will be covered all over with stitches. The only drawback is the holes are too small to accommodate the doubled wool/acrylic thread. However it does pack the stitches in very well so it does work out after all.

I'm quite surprised when I read blog posts and watch peoples' YouTube channels that they seem to be carrying on with friends and family as if there wasn't a pandemic raging around them. Stitching retreats are still going on, people are meeting with friends at bars and restaurants and travelling with friends (in the same vehicle!) to visit shops, going out to large group social events and fund-raisers, and having people to their homes. It is hard to understand why people don't understand that those are the activities that are allowing the virus to transfer within communities. Then the virus is taken back to their homes to infect others who may be even more vulnerable. Yes, we are all tired of COVID-19 but it doesn't care about us and will continue raging regardless of who is leading the country or how upset people are that businesses and schools are not operating at full capacity.

It is also very disturbing to hear the out-and-out lies by politicians in their desperate attempts to sway voters to their side. 

We, in Canada, are dealing with a second wave right now as well, even though most of us have followed the recommended protocols. Our leaders have not given up on trying to get control of the virus as has the US president. We, too, are tired, but because more caution was exercised at an early juncture and things didn't get way out of control then (except for long-term care homes), we do have a hope that we will be able  to get our numbers down in this second wave. For the most part our leaders have modelled the appropriate garb and behaviour. Most of the outbreaks now are in schools and again in long-term care homes. But now is not the time to ignore health guidelines.

Skip and I got our flu shots last week. The high-dose vaccine recommended for seniors was not yet available at our doctor's office so we had to make do with the regular one. Preliminary reports indicate that between record numbers of people getting their flu shots and also living in much more isolation, the flu numbers will be way down this season. At least something good can come from all this.

I choose to focus on the positive. The negative stuff is there - I just choose not to spend time dwelling on it. 
  • I am fortunate that Skip is a very agreeable person to spend months on end, 24/7, with. 
  • I am fortunate that I have the technology to connect with several groups of friends online on a regular basis. 
  • I am fortunate to have a vast stash of craft materials to keep myself productively occupied for months on end
  • I am fortunate to have a cosy house to live in and good food to eat
  • I am fortunate to have the time to do what I want 
  • I am fortunate that I no longer have to work to support myself as I was fortunate enough to invest in a very well-managed pension plan
  • I am fortunate that I am in relative good health and have a minimum of aches and pains
  • I am fortunate that there's lots of good stuff to watch on TV, streaming, or on YouTube that I can always be learning new stuff
  • Mostly, I am fortunate to have many good friends and family in my life.

Wow! That was quite a digression.

Happy Hallowe'en everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment