Friday 2 October 2020

Going for a Drive OR We Have Become My Grandparents

When I was a child, I spent some time with my grandparents. Grandpa loved to drive so we'd often go for 'drives' for something to do. Especially on Sundays when we weren't allowed to play cards in my grandparents' home.

Yesterday, just to get out of the house, Skip and I had a lovely drive out in the country in hopes we'd take in some fall colours.

I headed northwards knowing the colours would be more advanced than down by the lake (Lake Ontario). We weren't disappointed.

We turned onto roads we'd never driven on before. There was no traffic so we could pull over and take some photos whenever we wanted. 



Although the air was crisp, the sunshine warmed the car nicely. 

We headed to Hwy 115 which is the way up to the Kawarthas. The colours are not as advanced up there so we'll definitely need to do another fall colour tour once we've had some frost.

We then decided to head to Tyrone Mills for coffee and an apple cider donut. 


It has been and continues to be a working mill, powered by the adjacent stream. Folks can bring in their felled trees of a certain diameter and the mill can custom cut it into useable lumber. There is also a huge apple press where the juice is collected and made into cider.


There's a small blacksmith shop on the premises and a larger one on a nearby junction of two roads in the village of Tyrone.
They even have a pizza oven! I guess bread could also be baked in there.
The mill is a very busy place when there isn't a pandemic. A few other folks arrived while we were at the store including some who were also sporting cameras (as we were).
The apple cider donuts didn't disappoint. I brought some home with me, too.
Back on the road, we headed home on another previously undiscovered road.


It was hard to get a shot without power or phone lines but you get the general idea.
We even enjoyed some tacos and enchiladas at the food trucks on Taunton Rd. for lunch. This was the first (quasi) Mexican food we'd consumed since we left the Rio Grande Valley last March.
I'm not sure how this food truck was named but the literal translation is "The Bar's Mexican". I know. That's just being picky. It just reminds me of people who use random Chinese characters without knowing what they mean. Anyway. It was a really nice day and great excuse to get out of the house.

We hope to do this again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment