Monday 19 October 2020

Exciting Mail

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a FlossTube video by MommaLovesYouGB where she was talking about ordering a Riolis chart from mybobbin.com. The charts are from Russia but have English instructions; big colour charts with symbols; and come with sorted threads on cards, the fabric (Aida), and a needle. Shipping is pretty fast, inexpensive ($5.99US) and the company takes PayPal.

A lot of them are what I consider old-fashioned 'cutesy' charts but one really appealed was one with a sea turtle so I ordered it and a couple of other things to fill out the order a bit.


It has 28 colours. Here's a wee sample of what the chart looks like and the colour legend. Finished size of the design area will be about 11.25" x 10".

Under each colour it shows how many threads to use. In these colours (19 - 28) you can see two threads are called for. There were some other colours with one thread. 

I will substitute a linen or evenweave fabric for the Aida cloth.

I also ordered this little watermelon pin cushion.
Its threads are a wool/acrylic blend and it's stitched with two threads.
As it will be all-over coverage, cut out, and sewn together, I'm using the Aida that it came with and drew the grid lines on with a heat erasable pen. The lines aren't really visible when covered up but with a warm iron on the back when I'm finished they'll definitely disappear. The grid lines sure make it easier to stitch the watermelon 'pips'. 
I also ordered a rectangular hoop.
It measures 7" x 6" and has a very good screw-tightening mechanism. 
There is a little groove on the inner piece that snugly fits into the tongue around the inside of the outer piece. Great for holding the fabric drum-tight, if required. It also will work  with the inner hoop rotated 180 degrees. 

My Bobbin dot com carries these hoops in many sizes as well as round and oval ones. 

The items arrived in 2 1/2 weeks after I ordered them. They were shipped from The Netherlands. The two kits and hoop totalled about $40US which I believe is a very good value. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again.

I also made some masks the other day. 

This fabric was an autumnal shirt I loved but no longer fit. Pumpkins and swirling leaves.

I made two of these masks. One for Skip and one for me. Spiderwebs and spiders - very scary.
I'm all set for the rare occasions I ever leave the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment