Thursday 3 February 2022

Checking In on the Wessex Needlebook, Louisa Acton Sampler, and My Fabric Stash

Last night some of the guild members checked in to ask any questions or any clarifications about the Wessex needlebook SAL.  

I had done quite a bit of work in the afternoon, picking out the 4-sided stitch over 2 stitches (what I interpreted as 4 threads) and re-doing it over 2 threads. It looks much better now. Because I only left one thread between the tussock sts and the backstitching, there are 26 threads between the 'wavy' sts. When I stitch the 'outram' stitches, there will be one thread separating it from the wavy sts. I will tackle that today.

On the second one I made, I picked out the 2 strands of the dark blue thread and re-did one side with a single strand. Now the left side looks balanced with the light blue Sulky thread. My task this morning was to take out the dark blue on the right side and stitch it again with a single strand.


The process went very quickly because the holes were still very visible. 

Now I can do the 4-sided sts for the back and stitch the pattern on the back. 

We will check in again at our guild meeting in 2 weeks and discuss the finishing at our March meeting.

Yesterday morning I finished stitching the name on my Louisa Acton/Cordelia Peacock sampler while listening to the Fruity Knitting episode featuring Alan Dart. He is the British knitting designer who specializes in adorable toys. 
The 'Z' on the top line looks a little strange. I might re-do it. This sampler on 40ct PTP Legacy linen is tiny - only 3 34" wide - slightly wider than a business card. It will easily fit into a 5 x 7 frame. I haven't tackled the little bird that goes between the two hearts over one thread. I may do it in tent stitch - that is, like needlepoint only one / and not a complete cross.

We were scheduled to get another dump of snow but thankfully only got about an inch. I slept in while Skip got the front walkway, driveway, sidewalk, side walkway back patio and a path through the back deck cleaned off. He said it wasn't too strenuous. I usually help him but not today. 

Last night I got over half of the remaining red stripe done on the ripple stitch blanket.
Only a couple more rows and I'll be done. I now understand how folks accumulate afghans crocheted by some aunt or other. They're addictive but unless there is a person to give them to they just would pile up. I have several hand knit lap blankets I did with scrap yarn - mostly sock yarn. I have started a 10-stitch blanket but haven't decided what yarn I'll use or if I'll try and plan a design. I have enough sock yarn to knit another 30+ pairs of socks. And I don't even want to talk about my fabric stash.

It may not look that vast but remember, I'm not a quilter.

I just have accumulated these over many trips to JoAnn's in the US, FabricLand back home and a few quilting shops.

You may say, "they don't seem to be organized in any way". Hey, the fact that they've been folded (mostly) uniformly is a big accomplishment for me. 

A couple of years ago we had an IKEA outlet in town so I ordered a Billy shelf and this CD tower (GNEDBY) which is perfect for most of my fat quarters. (Photo has been turned 90°).
My fabric is actually the most organized thing in my office. I need to reorganize/cull my yarn stash to make more room and better use of my existing storage space. 

But for now, back to my stitching...

No comments:

Post a Comment