Sunday 7 August 2022

Sunflower Farm

Skip and I planned to go to the Sunflower Farm in Beaverton on Friday but when I was googling the location, a much closer one came up. Bragg's Farms in Bowmanville is a lovely setting and the second field is full bloom right now. So we decided to save some gas and driving and visit it instead.

It was a blisteringly hot day. Upon arrival we paid the fee and I grabbed my water from the car and headed out to field #2. 

At this corner of the field, we were told to listen for the indigo bunting(s). We heard it  (them). My trusty Merlin Bird ID app confirmed it.

The sunflowers are well over 6 feet tall.
Here's one ready to bust out.
Of course, I had to take a selfie with my beautiful subjects.
There is a lookout spot we climbed to get a shot together. 
Unlike most sunflower farms that just plow the crop under at the end of the season, Bragg's sells all of their seed locally - either at the farm, on their website, or at local feed stores. They also grow corn for feed, either on its own or to blend with the sunflower seeds.  The corn looked really good and was even taller than the sunflowers.
This perfect little one was just randomly placed beside the foot path. Now I'm inspired to paint some more of them.
At another spot in the field an antique tractor is placed for folks to have a photo op. This Massey Ferguson 165 dates back to 1964. It is quite shocking for me to realize things manufactured when I was 10 years old are now considered antiques - gasp!
All around us, bees were enjoying the pollen from the blooms. Many leaves just below the blooms were dusted with yellow pollen. I hope someone nearby keeps bees.
On our way out, I purchased a 6-pack of butter tarts with shortbread crusts provided by Eat My Shortbread - a bakery in Whitby. Yummeeee!

On our way home, we stopped in to Mexico Lindo in Whitby for lunch. With full tummies, we spent the rest of the afternoon recovering from the heat.

It was a truly splendid day.

No comments:

Post a Comment