Friday 11 January 2019

Another Lopi Sweater

Skip has been wearing his Riddari ('knight' in Icelandic) sweater non-stop since the weather got cold.
I'm very pleased he likes it but I thought he should have a second Lopi sweater to wear. After much deliberation, I decided on the Lopi 20th Anniversary sweater - Afmaeli (which means 'anniversary' in Icelandic) - free from their website.

I selected colours for the contrast.

It should look something like this when I'm done.
I am modifying the cuffs and collar by using the rolled one that I used previously in his Riddari sweater: Cast on cuff stitches with smaller needle, knit 5 rounds. Then work k2, p2 rib for 5 rounds. Change to larger needle and begin colourwork from first chart. Like so:
The rest I'm doing as written.

With the gauge I got on Riddari, I decided to knit the Large size as the body had the number of stitches that would get me gauge. 43" circumference x 4.5 st/inch = 193.5 stitches. Size L calls for 192 sts and size XL calls for 208 sts.

People often ask me if it is important to determine gauge. My response is "Only if you plan to wear the garment". Why do all that knitting if it won't work out to be the right size?  I also always start by knitting a sleeve rather than cast on hundreds of stitches for the body with the possibility of having to frog it to adjust for the proper gauge. End of lecture.

I'm starting to make a list of UFOs and kitted projects to take south. The closest yarn shop (other than big box craft stores) is over 3 hours away so I need to be stocked or order online. Stitching-wise I have LOTS that I can take and am only 45 min from an excellent stitchery shop.

I also need to plan projects for the drive down. We share the driving so I'll have over 16 hours to knit over the 5 days while Skip is doing his shifts. I have a couple of sock projects planned.

Speaking of south Texas, I'm really bummed out that the southern border wall is about to be built through the beautiful National Butterfly Center near Mission TX. If you're interested in the subject, the impact of the border wall is outlined here ( and image of the .pdf on the topic from their website):
We will definitely be visiting there early in our time in TX as time is running out for those trying to stop the destruction of this national wildlife treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment