Thursday 24 January 2019

Starting the Yoke

I finished knitting the body up to the underarms last night and did the first round joining the sleeves.
I'm going to do a few short rows on the back between the sleeves to give it a bit of extra length on the back before starting the colourwork on the yoke.

There are 14 underarm stitches on holders on both the sleeves and body. They will be grafted together later. All other sleeve and body stitches are yoke stitches.
In colourwork one often goes up a needle size to compensate for the floats tightening up the knitted fabric. Instead, I am choosing to consciously stretch out the stitches and knit loosely. It worked well on the other Icelandic sweater (Riddari) I knit for Skip. That way there won't be a sensation of tightness around the shoulders.

I'm starting to set aside stitching patterns and fabric that I want to take south. I always get a little anxious that I won't bring enough stitching to keep me busy. I acquired so many wonderful patterns when I was on my NY state trip, I want to get going on some of them rather than buy a bunch more at Judy's Stitchery Nook down there. Of course, I'll be checking out what Judy has and will likely buy some fabric for some projects there but I really want to use up as much of my stash as possible.

Some of my proposed projects are:

I've worked out most of the thread substitutions from the called for Needlepoint Inc. Silks.
I LOVE the donkey on this one and  may redesign it using the donkey and the alphabet only.
 I also really like monochromatic projects. I'll use DMC 115 on this one.
I may or may not do the pink zig-zags on the sheep. Instead I'll use French knots.
I've had this pattern and fabric for over a decade. I just need to get the threads from my stash.
I got this one either at Twist or the NY state trip. Again, I'd used DMC 115 for a lot of it. Then will come the task of finding a tray the right dimension. I like that little needlebook, too. It would be fun to use the Eiffel tower 'scissors' on it.
This came with the buttons.  I have all the called for hand-dyed Weeks Dye Works threads.
I got this from Laura's destashing. Again, I'd skip the zigzag on the sheep and probably do French knots instead.
I have everything to start this. The bee charm and chenille trim came with the kit. I can't believe how much these little bits of chenille trim cost when buying separately.
I really love the Hands On Design patterns. I think it's the colours that really sing to me. The farm-themed chalk designs are not my 'cup of tea' but I do appreciate all the elements of them. Calvin the cat, Ronnie the dog, Chelsea's chickens, etc. etc.

I'm going up to Myrtle Station Wool once I get going so I can buy the yarn for Scooter's requested Riddari. I'm doing it in the same basic colours as Skip's but will use a lighter colour of grey for the body.
I can probably get the sleeves done in the car on the way south.

No comments:

Post a Comment