Tuesday 15 March 2022

A Marathon Stitching Session

At our monthly embroidery guild meeting tomorrow, the Rhodes stitch will be introduced. There's a nifty project using three kinds of Rhodes stitches plus the rice stitch, satin stitch, reverse faggot stitch, and only 4 cross-stitches. It's a free pattern from the Caron Collection called Wildflower Hearts

I will be showing it at tomorrow's meeting so I thought I'd stitch it up today. I spent ALL DAY stitching it with 28ct linen from my stash and my favourite variegated DMC floss #115. I still need to do the double running stitches or backstitches around the periphery, 6 threads away from the satin stitches. Those stitches will be very important when I go to create a triangular scissor case. The backstitches are used to whip stitch the centre seam together like I did with the hummingbird scissor case.
They will also serve as a guide when sewing the lining onto the stitching.

I found a spool of Sulky thread that Jen1 gave me a couple of years ago that I'm going to use to make another one. 

Basically any square piece of stitching can be used to make a scissor case like this. I'll be having another look at my FOs to see if I have any other appropriate stitched pieces for the job.

After having a look at it, I bet it would look very nifty with some HotFix 'bling'. Perhaps some jewels in the centres of the stitched diamonds? I'll have to check and see if my red 'jewels' would look OK with DMC 115.

All of this stitching helps me cope with what is going on in the world today. I listened to President Zelenskyy address our House of Parliament. His pleas are heartbreaking but at this point, closing Ukrainian airspace could very well lead to scary consequences for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment