Tuesday 26 April 2022

Sock Wash Day, etc.

I keep a special laundry basket for my hand knit socks and wash them all when it's almost full. Wool socks can be worn two or three times before they need washing. Most of the socks don't shrink so can go in the wash individually or in a lingerie bag. A couple of my socks don't have as much nylon content and like to felt so I stretch them out when I pull them out of the washer. Then I put them on my large sock stretcher to dry or at least to stretch out. 

Front row socks: Monkey, Practice Makes Perfect, generic ribbed, helix , felted helix.
Second row: Business Casual, striped ribbed generic, striped ribbed generic, business casual, scrappy.
Top: Katwijker frok

Once they're dry they go back into one of my two sock drawers. 

I have one pair (Helix socks on bottom right) that just felt too much. They're so pretty and will be hard to part with but will go to someone who appreciates sturdy, hand knit socks and has smaller feet than I do. 

I finished what I've been calling the 'drab, ribbed' socks. They're sized for a woman's foot.

They're not that pretty but will be very cozy on the feet. I have started another pair of women's socks, turned the heel and am halfway finished the foot of the first one. The generic pattern I've been using makes them easy to knit (3 x 1 ribbed leg and stocking stitch foot) while watching TV. 

Unless a sock pattern really grabs me, I'll just continue knitting the ribbed socks as I use up my vast sock yarn stash.

I got the birds and chimneys done on Moonshine Cabin during my Monday morning stitching Zoom chat. I first stitched both birds the wrong colour and had to pick them out and re-stitch. No biggie.
I got most of the 5-stitch snowflakes done, will finish the rest, and start HotFixing the individual snowflakes. The bird's eyes will be black HotFix 'jewels'.

Yesterday Skip and I went up to Port Perry to collect our finished tax returns. For lunch we went to the restaurant at Sunnybrae Golf Course. The menu is still pretty limited but it was nice to dine out. We would have liked to dine outside but it was too cold for comfort. Fortunately we were the only patrons inside. Then we came home and both had a good nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment