Tuesday 17 May 2022

Beginning Nightshift

On Saturday, Jen1, Poppy, Jeanette and I attended the Peterborough Fibre Arts Festival. We met Barb there. It was held downtown at Peterborough Square. The signage was almost non-existent but we did find the room where it was being held. We visited Kim's booth and I purchased 5 of the mystery silk skeins. Afterwards we had lunch at Apollo Burger on Lansdowne St W.  Yummy!

On the way home we visited the antique market in Orono, then Soper Creek Yarn. I purchased a ball of sock yarn in a stripey blue colourway. It will probably be for a pair of bed socks for Skip. While there, I saw a Nightshift shawl and the cowl. Intrigued, when I got home, I purchased and printed off the shawl pattern and pulled several skeins of somewhat complementary colours of handspun. It took over a half hour to wind them into yarn cakes.

Some are superwash, some are not. It shouldn't make a difference.

Then I tried to start the pattern. Several times. Finally, I think I got the hang of it and am well into the second section, having used the first 3 colours. The yarns are all fingering weight more or less and I'm using 4mm needles. I think it's going to be very spiffy. 
Everything fits nicely into a zipper bag that our sheets came in. 
I would very much like to knit a top-down percentage cardigan á la Elizabeth Zimmermann. It would have to be a random, textured pattern like this to accommodate all the small quantities of handspun I have. Most are 115g (4oz) or less.

Yesterday we entertained Tom, a university buddy of Skip's (Victoria College, U of Toronto) and his wife, Ann, who stopped in on their way through from Guelph to Montreal. They hadn't seen each other since the late 1960s but reestablished contact via Facebook in recent years. I think they're the first folks we've entertained in our home for quite a while. It was also their first time visiting with folks that weren't family. Too bad they live so far away as they would be fun to hang out with more.

Tomorrow Jen1, Jeanette, Marilyn, and I are going into The Big City to attend the Marketplace event of the Embroidery Association of Canada 'Hues in Harmony' Seminar. Kim's shop is featured all week but there will be many other vendors geared to needlework. We also want to spend some time viewing the displays. None of the classes really appealed to me but Poppy is signed up to be there all week. I look forward to seeing her creations. 

I did a couple more motifs on the Wessex Hussif. No pic this time. 

Tonight a couple of us are going over to Jennifer R's place for our first face to face meeting of the Whitby Spinners. It's not quite warm enough to meet outdoors. I'm taking my Nightshift to work on. Alexa has knit one so maybe she can give me some tips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment