Wednesday 25 May 2022

Two At A Time Sleeves

In order to do the same colour changes and increases on both sleeves, I'm doing them at the same time. I'm also knitting them in the round - two fewer seams to sew up. I don't mind sewing up seams, I find zipping a seam together with mattress stitch to be very satisfying, but it's just easier to knit in the round.

As I used my Starry Night sweater pattern as a size guide, I also used the number of cast on stitches a guide, both for the body and then the sleeves. As this project has fewer sts per inch, I cast on proportionately fewer sts. 

As I mentioned in the previous post, I measured 1" back from the first coloured stripe (orange) and used the light blue as the first colour after the sleeve cuffs. The sleeves are 1" longer than the body so when I get to joining the sleeves to the body, they should all have the same colour stripe across the entire yoke. At least that is the plan.

Knitting two at a time (TAAT) is fiddly to start. I've only knit a couple of pairs of socks that way and it's not my preferred method. However once I got the sleeves underway it wasn't that tricky. I carry the main colour up and do the colour changes along the underarm seam. I'm not only weaving in the contrasting colour ends as I go, I also try to weave in the beginning of the new colour a few sts back. This will save me a lot of sewing in ends when I'm done. There is a definite 'jog' at the underarm seam but it won't be very visible as it will be under the arm, of course.

With the contrasting  yarn, I use the inside strand of the ball on the first sleeve and the outer strand on the outer sleeve.

I did add 5 stitches after the ribbing on the cuff and am increasing at the beginning and end of every 5th round. My finger knitting counter is a big help.
Stock photo

Increase rounds: K1, m1, knit to last st, m1, k1.

I will be doing some therapeutic knitting today since hearing about the mass shooting in Uvalde TX. I've already some 'bad moments' today so won't dwell further. Thoughts and prayers just don't cut it any more.

I'm looking forward to my regular Zoom visit with my stitching peeps this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment