Monday 24 January 2022

Brief Power Outage

During my Monday Morning Stitchers' Zoom chat today, the power (many Canadians call it 'hydro') went out. I checked our breakers (they were all on) then called our power utility (cellular service was still working) but the lines were all tied up so I knew it was wider than just our house. Finally the map was updated to show the outage was almost all of SE Whitby. 



I started planning how I would spend my day until the power came back on: starting a fire in the fireplace to keep us warm in this -10C weather, stitching beside the window, starting the gas stove with matches just like the old days, taking a lot nap, etc.

I continued stitching on the project that I had been working on during our call. In about 1.5 hours,  the power was restored. Within 5 minutes of the power coming back on we got a telemarketing call. Sheesh! I may have used bad language before hanging up.

 I finished the stitch I was working on in the Wessex stitch needlebook and now am deciding what to do now that I can watch some YouTube videos and easily go about my day. I may still take a nap, though.

I finished the Algerian eyelets - the light green 'o's of the 'x's and 'o's. 

Next will be the tussock stitches. I haven't decided what colours to use yet. I'm already planning a second one which and what colours I'll use. It would be easy to design a little scissor fob. Between smalls exchanges at  StitchNorth at the beginning of April (fingers crossed) and  with the guild in either June or September, I have a couple of definite deadlines.

Skip and I watched the Bills/Chiefs game last night. At halftime, I checked my email and received a video from Sharon about a group ukulele program with Jann Arden singing Glen Campbell's 'Try a Little Kindness'. I ran upstairs and hauled out my little uke, tuned it up (all strings are tuned up a tone for my beginner skills) and played along with the video. Then, of course, I had to look for more ukulele videos to play along. 

I made it back downstairs for the last 5 minutes of the game just as everything started going crazy. Chiefs were ahead, then the Bills, then the Chiefs, then it looked like the Bills would win. We were screaming and dancing around. I was madly texting Francey in Colorado and Jeanette in Bowmanville who were also watching the game. Then the Chiefs tied it up as the clock ran out. Damn! Overtime! 

The rules determined that whoever scored first would win and the Chiefs did. We were SO disappointed. It was so deflating. A pall fell over our house as I am sure happened all over western NY state. There had been such a build-up in Buffalo and now, once again, they got kicked to the curb. Josh Allen was awesome but Mahomes was outstanding. The Bills just need better defense.

Oh well. One more weekend then a couple of weeks off 'til the LXI SuperBowl. I think I might even order takeout chicken wings for that.

A few things on my crafty to-do list:

  • work on Louisa Acton/Cordelia Peacock
  • work on Wessex needlebook
  • sew 2 project bags for the two projects above
  • do some work on UFOs
  • practice painting some more spring flowers
  • crochet more on the ripple blanket (new cushined crochet hooks are supposed to be delivered today)
  • maybe play my ukulele a bit more this afternoon
  • plan what we'll have with our baked salmon tonight
  • bundle up and walk to the community mailbox
There is no end to fun stuff to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment